The Park Bench | Teen Ink

The Park Bench

October 22, 2012
By Jadestorm BRONZE, Boylston, Massachusetts
Jadestorm BRONZE, Boylston, Massachusetts
3 articles 4 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't ever put anything on paper that you don't believe in. Don't write just to be writing. It's worse then merely saying something because the printed word reaches so many. Always remember that, Beany.


"I hate you!"
The word ripped through the air and stabbed her heart.
"You've lost your last chance, Jenny."
I watched him walk away. Tears were now streaming down my face. I stumbled over to an empty park bench and sat down. "Was this really happening," I ask herself. Was he really gone.
"Oh, Luke!" I cried.
Thinking back on it, we had not been together very long. We had meet at a party at my friends house. He was 20, the friend of my best friend's older brother. I was 16 at the time. Heading it to my junior year of high school without a care in the world. He had fallen madly in love with me. Every one could tell.
He asked my out on a date, and then that lead to several more. We went to my school's fall dance together. On my 17th birthday, he took me out to dinner. When we got back to my house, we sat in the car for about an hour. That was when he told me that he love me more than he had every loved anyone else. My head was in the clouds for about a week after that.
The fall disappeared into the winter. Sledding, and talks by the fire came with it. To the annual Winter Ball, I wore a red and black dress that came to my knees. Luke wore a dashing black tux with a red tie. It was one of the most magical nights in my life. In each other’s we just danced for hours. I thought that i would never feel this way about a guy again.
But as the snows started to melt away, so did my feelings. One day, when I was walking down the street, I saw Luke. I was about to shout hello, when I saw that he was talking to someone else. That someone else was a tall blonde, with clear blue eyes. to my dismay, Luke leaned forward and kissed her on the lips. I turned around and fled, fighting back the tears.
When he called that night, I wouldn't answer the phone. I spent the night crying. The next day in chemistry a nice boy, a friend of mine named Scott, came over. He had seen my red eyes and was wondering if anything was wrong. I shook my head. "No," I said to myself, " I can't talk about it yet."
Luke meet up with me before I got to my house that evening. We fought. Finally, Luke got me to agree to go on another date with. "She's only an old friend." He said. "Please give me another chance to show how much I love you." The day was set a week later.
The fatal evening arrived. I put on my nicest jeans and a sparkly, turquoise top, over which i throw on a black sweater. I pulled my hair up with a clip, and slipped on a pair of silver earrings. After applying some lip gloss, I meet Luke at the door. We went out together into the chilly evening. After a small dinner, we saw a movie. I can't remember what we saw or what I ate. All I can remember was getting back into his trunk, and driving to the park.
We stopped my the old oak tree, and just sat there. All of a sudden, Luke leaned over and kissed me. He pulled me over onto his lap and kissed me again. He kissed the high part of my neck and then the lower part. He ran his hand across my chest, and murmured into my ears about how much he love me. As he spoke, I could smell a trance of alcohol on his breathe.
My mind whirled back to the time at the theater. "So that's where he was all those times he left. Oh dear! I've got to get out of here." I tried to push him away. He held me even tighter. I could feel his hand rub across my leg, getting closer and closer to the waist band of my pants.
I did the only thing I knew what to do. I bit down on his arm. I bit it hard. He yelled and let go of me. The second he let go, I found the door handle. I had it open, and was out of the car before he was aware of it. I ran down the street, and I didn't look back.
The next day, I bumped into him at the park. For a second we just stood there staring at each other. Finally, Luke spook. " I guess you've come to apologizes. boy my arm still hurts! Well, I'll forgive, cause I know you want to come back."
I stared back at him, and shook my head. "No, Luke. I'm never coming back. I'm glad it hurt, you deserved it. I hope it shows others who you really are."
Luke now took his turn to stare. "Whaattt?" he asked.
I stared steadily into his eyes. "Luke, I don't trust you anymore. My friend told me that you date a lot of girls, and that when you drink, you misbehave. I thought you had change, but you haven't. After last night, you were drinking me home, and you were drunk." She shook her head. " I can't do this anymore."
Luke look at me. His smirk wiped away. "You've ruined it, Jenny. You just like all those other girls who tried to change me. I love you cause you liked me for myself." He turn and started to walk away. " I hate you. You've lost your last chance ,Jenny."
For what seemed like eternity, I sat on that park bench. "Why I'm I crying?" I asked myself. "You should by glad that he is gone.
"Are you ok, Jenny?" I looked over my shoulder. There stood Scott, in his faded jeans, and red shirt. I shook my head and he sat down by me. He had me a tissue, and I blow my nose. "I'm sorry, Jenny."
Startled, I looked at him. Why should he be sorry.
"I'm sorry," he continues," because I have noticed that you've not been your old self later. A good friend would have taken the time to find out if anything was wrong."
"But why would you care?" I asked amazed. "We have never been really good friends."
"That only because we have never tried to be friends. But I have always want to. We can always try now."
For a minute, I just sat there thinking. "Come on, Jenny. You have always been fun to be with. Don't let one boy ruin your life. There's no better time to start again then right now."
I looked up into Scott's face and smiled. Yes, there was no time like right now, and I might as well use it. Together, we jumped up and walked away from that bench. We laughed as we admired the new flower. The tissue was left forgotten on the bench, along with the tears they dried.


The author's comments:
I never had an experience like this before. Actually, I have never dated. But I have felt heart break, so I just put my feelings into a love story.
Be yourself, and you'll be happy.