The Painting | Teen Ink

The Painting

By elenal GOLD, Stanford, California
elenal GOLD, Stanford, California

"When life gives you 100 reasons to cry, show life you have 1,000 reasons to smile."

Cassie sat at her easel, adjacent to the open window. She liked to feel the breeze as she painted. She actually hadn't painted in a while but she had woken up today with a sudden feeling of inspiration. She sighed happily. She had a feeling this was going to be her best work. She picked up the brush and dipped it in a color.

His gentle hands wrapped around her small and delicate waist and held her close. They were standing under the sycamore tree which they called magical because it was under this very tree that they first met. He kissed her neck ever so slightly and she felt it all, a wave of emotion.

Cassie washed the remnants of color off the brush and dipped it in a new color.

He stood in front of her at her doorstep, his blue eyes shining and a perfect, genuine smile on his too good to be true face. They were about to end what had been an amazing date. He reached up with one of his gentle hands and pushed the loose strand of hair behind her ear. This made her shiver with delight. He was so close to her. She smiled up at him. He leaned in and kissed her.

He was the first one to arrive, which wasn't what she expected, but it certainly made her happy. They were at her 18th birthday party. He claimed he had the best and biggest present for her out of everyone that was there. She laughed, finding it hard to believe. Towards the end of the night presents were opened. When it got to his turn, he reached into his left pocket, pulled out a set of keys and dropped into the palm of her hand. She looked at the keys then at him then back at the keys, confused. He just flashed his perfect, genuine smile, took her hand, and led her outside. A baby blue jeep sat in the driveway with a giant red bow on it. She squealed in delight.

He walked up to her and held her hands in his. It was night, and the moon was their only source of lighting. He told her she was the most beautiful girl in the world. Her heart melted. He told her he was in love with her. Her heart melted even more. He leaned in and kissed her on the cheek, making her shiver in joy. He got down on one knee, pulled a ring out of his left pocket and looked up at her with those electric blue eyes. She smiled down at him. He asked her to marry him. She happily said yes through good tears and let him put the diamond on her finger.

He looked handsome in his brand new black tuxedo, his tie absolutely perfect for once. They were on a beach under a red rose arch; chairs with nicely dressed people in them surrounded them in an orderly fashion. It was their wedding day. She walked down the sandy aisle barefoot, white bouquet in her hands, looking ever so beautiful in a white dress that somehow failed to touch the ground.

Cassie washed the remnants of color off the brush, and dipped it in a new color.

He stared adoringly at her with those piercing blue eyes and smiled that perfect, genuine smile. He took her hands as he said his vows and held onto them as she said hers. The priest told them they were now husband and wife and that he could kiss the bride. So he kissed her.

Cassie washed the remnants of color off the brush and dipped it in a new color. The last color. She painted a title on the top of the portrait and signed her name at the bottom. She stood up off her stool and took a few steps back to admire her work. It was beautiful.

He walked into the room, his favorite faded grey shirt and khaki pants on. He wrapped his gentle hands around her. She closed her eyes and let him hold her close. He was her forever.