Unlovingly Accountable | Teen Ink

Unlovingly Accountable

It’s the first day of fall, not too hot, not too cold, but the perfect time to for a wedding. My best friend Joanna picked this Saturday to marry the love of her life, Spencer Holman. I am happy for her, don’t get me wrong, but at the same time, I’m losing her to Spencer. It doesn’t help that I have no special someone in my life now. It was two months ago today Kendall, my ex-boyfriend, broke it off through a one sentence text message.

“Who needs him?” Joanna asked when I stormed over to her house in my pajamas, bearing my heart and soul, while indulging in her chocolate ice cream. “The guy was a totally loser from the very beginning. I mean, he’s an accountant!”

“Hey,” I shouted, “Accounting is a very good job.”

“Sure it is,” she nodded vigorously, “It’s just not the place to look for a potential husband. No offense Cheryl, but everyone knows that.”

Apparently, everyone but me. I can’t really complain, I have a nice date to Joanna’s wedding (even though he is my second cousin), I have a great job (although I am a little under paid), and I own a nice car (it really is a nice car, I don’t have anything to add to this one). Sure, all these things are material, but…well, I guess I’m a bit shallow.

Jim, my cousin, turns down the stereo as we pull up to the wedding party trolley. Joanna wanted me in the wedding, but Spencer insisted they only use their family members. I was ticked to say the least. Spencer’s a nice guy and all, but he’s a bit demanding. I’m not a fan.

“Cheryl, wave,” Jim calls as he lifts a hand above the window of my convertible. I pat dawn my hair as we slow at a red light, right behind the trolley. Joanna and Spencer’s groomsmen and bridal party hang of the ledge on the back of the trolley. “Is that Joanna’s sister? She is a looker!” Jim exclaims and waves like a smitten third grader.

I catch my breath at the sight of a tall blonde man. He’s motioning for Jim to honk the car horn and rev the engine. Jim complies and the guy cheers, pumping his fist in the air. He is the most handsome specimen I have ever laid eyes on in my entire life. Channing Tatum has nothing on this guy. Blondie catches me starring and smiles slowly. He lifts his hand and mouths call me. I sit nodding and wishing this red light would last forever…but it doesn’t and Jim drives quickly ahead of the trolley, leaving me in a complete and total trance.

The wedding feels like an eternity and when the preacher finally announces, “You may kiss the bride,” the guests cheer so loudly, it wakes Jim up from the nap he was taking on my shoulder. Joanna looks so completely happy, I have to look away. I think I’m destine to be single forever.

The reception is in full swing when I finally noticed him. He is laughing with some of the other groomsmen, while doing the electric slide. I know most of Spencer’s family, especially the cute ones, but I have never met this mysterious blondie. Unfortunately, he catches me gawking at his attractiveness again and he grins in recognition, waving me over. I look behind me; certain he’s not talking to me. He laughs at my confusion. He has a beautiful smile, two dimples form in the corner of his mouth deepening his grin. His eyes crinkle on the sides in a very inviting way. Swooning, I comply with his wishes.

“Hey,” he says when I get close. “I thought you said you were going to call me.” Is that an accent I hear?

“You…I…I don’t have your number,” I stammer. The song abruptly changes to a slow melody. A woman croons deeply of the sorrows of love. Blondie grabs my hand and pulls me next to him as we begin to dance.

“Then I’ll be sure to give it to you,” he tells me, smiling down on me. Laughing he adds, “My names Aubrey, by the way.” Why do the guys I like always have girl names? I wonder confused, but smile anyways.

“I’m Cheryl,” I say.

“I know who you are,” he whispers seriously. We stop dancing and I look up into his light blue eyes that seem to look into the depths of my very being.

“How?” I ask. I’m not sure the words even escaped my lips because I was so breathless, surely this is fate.

“You dated my friend Kendall,” he answered, “I’m an accountant.”

I feel vomit rising in my throat. An accountant?

“You have got to be kidding me,” I sneer and turn on my heel, leaving him in the dust. I refuse to make that mistake again. I am simply destined to be single, and maybe that’s not such a bad thing.

on Sep. 8 2012 at 11:28 am
cuckoo_for_cocoa_puffs SILVER, Superior, Colorado

"We are not Africans because we are born in Africa; we are Africans because Africa is born in us"- Chester Higgins Jr.

I liked it, but the ending was confusing. He seems like a nice guy, this Aubrey, and certainly more interesting than her last boyfriend, despite being an accountant. Why would she ditch this extremely handsome and witty guy just because he is friends with her last boyfriend? It doesn't make much sense, but I like it all the same. It has character :)