Cupid

You know, I get the blame for everything. You humans are so unappreciative. I mean, come on, I have been around for ages helping you be happier and you always point your fingers at me when you let stupid things such as pride or inconvenience get in the way of your joy. Make fun of my bow and arrows, make statues of me looking like some naked baby. You know, after a few hundred years one does overcome diapers and twenty-four inches.

In case you haven’t already guessed my name, it’s Cupid. Yep. The one and only complete with my bow, arrows, and wings. You’d be surprise to know that many of you have seen me, disguised in jeans and a T-shirt. I look like any normal teenage boy around the age of seventeen or so. I have golden locks, blue eyes, a muscular body, and I WEAR CLOTHES (I just thought I’d point that out).

I’ve been around a long time, centuries, millennia. And you people never change! I swear! You take history don’t you?! How can you not see the patterns repeating themselves over and over again? How are you so blind to why you are unhappy? You blame it on love. Every stinking time. You know that’s not what caused the Roman empire to fall, not what started WW II, not what makes people starve over in Africa. In fact, it was the lack of it that started all of those things.
And look at you. Yeah, I’m talking to you. Remember that crush you had? You know who I’m talking about don’t pretend not to. You ‘fell in love’ at first sight. Saw the beauty of the body and went head over heels. You spent all your time daydreaming ending up as a couple. But what about your siblings? The ones who wanted to play with you? But you were too busy chasing after that imagination of yours to pay them any mind. Remember how as the years passed and you grew farther and farther apart and you forgot who the other person was? You lost them and never got that ‘happy ending’ when your crush ditched you for another and broke your heart.
Who did you blame? Love.
Well, let me tell you: I did shoot you with my arrow, but I didn’t link it to that crush. Instead I hit your little brother who everyday waited until you came home from school so he could show you the picture he had drawn. Instead I hit your father who grounded you when you did something stupid so that you would learn that was wrong and not the best thing for you. Instead I hit your old grandma who always seems to be in the way and always tries to share her childhood with you.
You are the one who stole my bow and tried to shoot that kid. And I tried to warn you that it was a bad idea through your friends and your family but you ignored them. I even sent nice substitutes who would treat you right and be kind to you, people who wouldn’t abuse or use you. But you ignored them because they were ‘weird’ or ‘nerdy’ or ‘not cute’.
Your broken heart was never your fault. It was mine and everyone else’s. And after it was broken you pushed everyone who really cared away so you felt alone. You swore no one could possibly understand the pain you were suffering through. You ignored your mother who tried to hug you in comfort. You shunned the concern of your friends and said everything was all right when it clearly wasn’t.
Now I’m not trying to beat you up, not even close. I just want you to open your eyes and see so that you won’t destroy yourself like this again. Believe me when I say I know how it feels to get your heart shattered by someone you care for. I can feel all the hearts that are broken. I felt yours. And so did the ones whose own arrows were linked to yours. We all shared your pain.
And I’m not even saying that I get things right all of the time. I admit I’ve messed up before (Romeo and Juliet are always flung up in my face) but I truly do try. Love is what keeps this crazy world spinning. What keeps things glued together. Love is family. Love is friendship. Love is trust. Love is kindness. Love is hope. Love is joy.
Love is a second chance.
Now stand still. I’m taking aim. And I have the perfect target.

CammyS said...
I really liked this! It's an interesting perspective, writing as Cupid. And even then it was made even more interesting by Cupid's topic. The piece was sarcastic, it was funny, and it was heartbreaking at times. I loved it, especially the ending.

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:33 pm :
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you to everyone who has read or commented or rated Cupid!! I really appreciate it and love reading your comments!! ^_^

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I absolutely love this! Perfect writing! You are very talented. Please read, rate, and comment on my poems :) It would mean a lot. I going to mark this as my favorite :)

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm :
Sure!     

Claudia.VII said...
Nice. If you knew me in real life, you'd know my first word whenever I found something witty and almost exactly how I myself would say it, I'd say, "Nice." But it's not a snide nice or a sarcastic one, it's one that's long and sort of drawn out. It's an appreciative sort of, "Nice!" Included with a smile and a funky sort of head nod. Anywho, the writing itself. How many times might I say I ADORE sarcasm and wit, it's what makes this beautiful world... (more »)

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm :
Nice. I'm glad you liked it. ;)

Ellie M. said...
Nov. 2, 2012 at 11:13 am:
Wow! I love how different it is to the usual cupid stories and the humour and sarcasm tha you slipped in there. This is one of my favourite pieces.

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm :
Aww, really? Thanks! I'm glad you liked it so much!!

Snowflakes said...
Oh wow! I love this! When I saw the title 'Cupid' I instantly thought it was going to be some sappy love story that would make me want to throw up. But this? 
I was NOT expecting this haha! It is such a great interpretation, and I love the personality that you've given Cupid! 
I also liked how you had a different range of emotions in it; amusement, pity, empathy, sarcasm etc. - It worked really well.
But your last line? That literally had me drooling! What... (more »)

Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm :
Awww You are so nice! Thank you ^_^

thegoldenllama said...
This is very cute! I like the voice of mr. cupid :) You added nice touches of humor, very enjoyable. This would be a very nice piece to read on Valentine's Day!! Great job, once again :) My only suggestion is that at the end, you should take out the "and" for "and i have the perfect target". I think it will end nicely without the and. But, that's just my thought :)

Oct. 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm :
Thank you, Goldenllama ^_^ I'll take that into account

live4words said...
I really liked this! The part where you talked about the grandma, th brother, and the dad made me sad..But in a good way! :) I haven't read many other stories about Cupid, so this was unique! Good job! :)

live4words said...
I liked this a lot! When I started reading it, I was like "why the heck is she writing about cupid?" But then I read more, and it totally made since! I like it! :) The part where you talked about the grandma and the dad and the brother made me really sad..but in a good way! :) I also liked how you ended it. Nice job! :)

Oct. 20, 2012 at 9:07 am :
Thank you! I'm glad you like it :D

elites5 said...
I like how you put a modern twist of Cupid. It's really cute and well written! :)

Oct. 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm :
Thank you!

KylieKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh, wow! This is brilliant!

Sept. 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm :
Aww! Thanks. :)