Mouslin & Evangeline, Part I | Teen Ink

Mouslin & Evangeline, Part I

By CanaBean PLATINUM, Houston, Texas
CanaBean PLATINUM, Houston, Texas

Give a beggar a million dollars and he'll use it for food, but what happens after he's full...

The sight of her is as beautiful as looking through a meadow of flowers, that even the towns woman basked at her handsomeness. She with auburn hair carried the elegance of virginity and virtue, none of which could compare.
Soulful dark eyes that stood with stillness, as if clouds that were upon the skies.
The young woman, who went by the name of Evangeline grew up poor in a small hut by the river. Along with her mother Elise, her father Portemay and her three sisters whom she shared a room with, Organa, Ursula and Patricia.
Even living in poverty, men could not help but to gaze upon Evangeline's presence, which her sisters would grow jealous of.
Not as beautiful as their sister made them pitiful peasants that no man wanted to court.
From the rightful age of fifteen men wanted to court with her, but none never successful.
For it was Evangeline's decision to choose who to marry and she found no man worthy of her beauty. Portemay was quite fond of Evangeline, after all most men were and she didn't seem to mind it. "Aphrodite blessed you well, daughter" he would often say when her presence was brought into a room. "Father, why do ask her these questions and not me" Organa-the eldest one imposed.
"Organa, there's no need to be envious of your younger sister" her mother Elise implied.
Organa stormed off with her run downed sandals clanking away through the room.
"Evangeline, my loving daughter when will you find yourself a husband to marry?" her father asked.
"When I find a man" she replies sarcastically.
"Oh, may the gods have mercy on the man whom she marries" he said to himself sipping his afternoon tea.
Evangeline stumbled into the room she shared with her sisters to find the second youngest, Ursula with a local boy who served food for the poor, Evangeline quickly shut her eyes while Ursula urged her to leave the room quickly.
She ran into another room and tried to comprehend what she had just seen, disgusted she turned toward the mirror on her side and a feeling of peace and tranquility went through her body.
"A fair lady as beautiful as I, should not have to live in a unpleasant place such as this. When will the silver lining reveal the knight that would sweep me off my feet as if breezes through trees could bring forth their chorus and sing, singing a soulful song that overwhelms love itself through the hearts of crossed young lovers. Oh...how would it feel to be in love, to dream of love with a man as beautiful and fair as I" her pride showed mercifully.
"Mother! Please do your best to tell Evangeline to stay away from my Frederick. It will be a glorious day when all men who swoon for her realize what filthy little dog she is! Ursula began to fluster.
"Now, ease down my dear daughter, you of all should know better than to have a young man looking for mischief beneath your home" her father said with a smirk.
Walking out of another room, all eyes meet to Evangeline who wore her mothers most attractive dress. The silence in the area turned into praise to which Evangeline was not surprised about.
"Come little sister...let us take a stroll through town, Organa shall come too" Evangeline said.
The three young ladies headed for the door and walked down the stone narrow path along the river. Many civilians were out enjoying merry times that morning and among them were the young men finding suitors to become their potential wives.
"There are many men out today just looking for suitors, aren't they sisters?" Evangeline says.
"Indeed there are.." Organa consists.
"This is the gods' own way of creating masculinity and strength. A man to comfort and protect the daughter of a herder. Not only will my partner be loved by me but he will also worship myself. The man must be related to kings or let him be a nobleman. If the man wants children he will have to be in a wealthy family."
"Organa you sound selfish! If I were you I would worry about the Cultists punishing you for your greediness" Ursula told her as if a prediction.
"I may be selfless but I am not conceded like Evangeline!" She protested.

Part one of many...