Truth or Dare | Teen Ink

Truth or Dare

June 5, 2012
By chibiSoul16 BRONZE, Batangas, Other
chibiSoul16 BRONZE, Batangas, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Absence from whom we love is worse than death and frustrates hope severer than despair.......


“I love you”
My mind went black when I heard the words until he let go of my hand and took a step back. I looked at him in confusion only to be met by his famous heart breaker smirk. No! He didn’t…I mean it was true? Is it?
“Truth or dare?” Emy asked me with a mischievous smile. I grinned at her. “Dare!”
She wagged her eyebrows and I felt a tinge of hesitation but quickly shook it away. “Dare Emy, I’m okay with it!”
“Okay then, go to Rye and whisper I love you to him” She said and the girls in the circle squealed and giggled while I stayed frozen in my spot. I think my voice left me that instant.
“Come on Avery, it’s just a dare!” Cecile, one of my classmates said with a challenging glint in her eyes. I looked at the others and they all have the same looks on their faces. I swallowed an imaginary lump in my throat, and with wobbly legs got up from the circle. “O-okay but I’ll tell him it’s a dare okay?”
The girls nodded and cheered for me as I walked towards Rye. He was the type of guy who exuded a vibe of “Touch me and you’re dead” but that didn’t stop girls from throwing themselves at him. He was so handsome for his own sake. I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with oxygen and the confidence to go to him and say those three letter words. I felt my cheeks heating up with just the thought of it. But it’s more than a stupid dare and I know that. If I go there and said that to him, it would also be the truth. I have always been in love with him; God knows how and when it started. I just couldn’t do this without messing with my own emotions. I took a deep breath. This is just a dare Avery! I chanted in my head
He was seated far from the group of boys since he seemed like shunning himself away from everyone, and thank goodness for that, no complications spotted. As I neared him, he glanced up from the book he was reading and looked straight at me. His azure eyes bore into mine and my heart went overdrive from his intense gaze.
“Are you going to say anything or are you going to stare at me all day?” he asked in irritation and I flushed furiously in shame. Oh god, what’s with him that sent my mind to wonderland every time I looked at him?
“I-I need to tell you something….” I cleared my throat. Why in the world am I stammering?
He raised an eyebrow at me and with a stiff nod urged me to continue but it seems my tongue was tied and to make it worst my mind was coming up blank of what to say. I stood there stiffly as a log. To my surprise, he suddenly got up and stalked towards my direction with a shadow of a smile hovering on his slightly upturned lips.
“Lost your tongue Avery?” he drawled in a smooth teasing tone and I immediately shivered at his close proximity. He used to be this close to me but when I became Ryan’s girl, he put a huge wall between us. I tried taking it away for so many ways even breaking up with my boyfriend but it stayed unmoving till now.
“I—I”
“ Hmm….I couldn’t quite hear you, will this help?” he took another step and leaned into me, his eyes never left mine as he lean closer until his face was leveled to mine.
“Say it.” He whispered teasingly. I hold on to pride and dignity to muster the courage I need to say those three words.
“I love you” It rolled off my tongue swiftly as I felt his whole being stiffened. I took a step back to gauge his reaction only to find his eyes slightly widened in shock but not for long. He shook his head like he was in some kind of trance-like state. He then straightened up and looked straight at me.
“It’s just a dare!” I told him quickly but his eyes narrowed in slits. I could even feel the waves of anger rolling off him. He was so mad! But, it’s just a dare! I didn’t do anything wrong did I?
“So you’re just playing huh?” he asked in annoyance. I nodded my head and bit my lip. My heartbeat pounded in my ears and my cheeks started getting redder in shame.
“I-I’m sorry. It’s a dare. Emy made me-“
“Nonsense!” His voice thundered in my ear. He took a step forward until he invaded my personal space.
“Do you know what you just did Avery?” he asked through gritted teeth. I shook my head no, finding it hard to speak, when I couldn’t even breathe right.
“You ruined my patience Ave, you snapped my strings of holding back.” He said, his eyes were closed. He leaned his forehead into mine and open his eyes. I stared straight at his gentle gray eyes peeking at my soul.
“W-what are you saying Rye? I-I don’t understand” I mumbled, my heart beat was getting wilder. Could it be that he loves me….too?
He took a deep breath and grasped my free hand. He entwined his fingers with mine and I suddenly felt calmer as I felt the familiar heat of his hand. We used to hold hands as friends before….
Used to be…
“I love you”
My mind went black and my heart skipped a beat when I heard the words until he let go of my hand and took a step back. I looked at him in confusion and hope only to be met by his famous heart breaker smirk. No! He didn’t…I mean it was true? Is it? The way he said it was sincere…. But my hopes shattered when he confirmed what he just did.
“Looks like you lost Avery. I just played back you’re game.” He said and stalked off leaving me in confusion and hurt that I didn’t even notice him looking back, with his eyes mirroring the same emotions I had.


The author's comments:
I lost the game I didn’t realized we were playing-a game that had no rules. A game called “Love”.
I just wished I chose truth instead….