Summer Rays | Teen Ink

Summer Rays

By lav1212 BRONZE, Newmarket, Other
lav1212 BRONZE, Newmarket, Other

Barefoot and salty hair, I lay draped over the cabana roof. My bare back pressed against the hot sandy shingles.

The clouds above me didn’t remind me of cotton candy today. The billows had smoothened out since noon. It reminded me a lot of a satin sheet, grazing through the sky. Or maybe a dash from a paintbrush, either one made sense to me.

All around me I could feel warmth, the sun was peeking in and out of the sky, but the gentle wind around me felt almost like a blanket.

My head bobbing in and out of consciousness to the soothing sound of the clashing waves. Somewhere in the distance I hear someone, a voice, a set of laughter.

Continuing to enjoy the day, I closed my eyes again. Everything around me felt right.

Half a moment later I could hear the laughter again, closer this time, more radiant. Something more though, a double set of laughter now. I propped myself up onto my elbows and squinted over the tall grasses that surrounded me.

In my view I see a man and a woman walking side by side. Their hands interlocked, and I could tell that she had a bright smile right below her big black sunglasses. She wore a yellow pashmina and the frayed ends brushed against her tan skin.

The sound of crashing waves must had lulled me to sleep, I woke up to my bare thighs burning from the beating afternoon sun. I regained my consciousness as Ben appeared behind me. “Knock, knock” he said jokingly as he alerted me with his knuckles against the boards of the cabana roof ridge.

I turned my head to the side to see him, I glanced over the top rim of my sunglasses. As far as keeping my composure goes.

Already on the roof, he had placed a tray of fresh, juicy watermelons slices, and in his hand were two dew coated glasses, that were filled with icy lemonade.

“I hope you don’t mind if I join you,” He said with a smile. I rolled my eyes at him and turned back to face the ocean. As he climbed up onto the roof, the tempting clinks of the ice inside the glasses were driving me insane. “Clink, clink clink, clink,”. It was only then when I realized how hot the day had become.

As he sits down next to me, I prop myself up even more now, pulling my legs into my chest and feeling the backs of my knees dripping. Real hot out.

Ben’s eyes were on me now, I could feel them as well as the sweat beads forming along my hairline. Trying to now escape from the almost awkward idea of him noticing that I’m actually looking rather gross in the sunlight, I turn away from him, then toss my head back to let out a sigh.

He whispers something that I can just barely hear. I look over to him with a hard glare, I back down. I was too confident, I could tell this because as soon as I focused in and my eyes locked with his, I forgot.

I forgot and got nervous and I tried to speak but I couldn’t. Instead, he did. “I saw you out here and I thought you’d need some refreshments, also I decided that it’s not fair for you to be out here all by yourself on such a beautiful day,”

I had to hold my persona, my annoyed, overly mature image. Something about him today though, something was different. He placed his hand down at his side and his finger tips grazed mine.

Not only was I sweating from the mid afternoon rays, but now I was flustered and nervous, all at the same time.

GodSpell98 GOLD, Lincoln, Nebraska

"THE HUNKY-DORY THING ZAPPED ME!!" or "“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams”. or anything from Lord of the Rings or Star Trek.

I'm enjoying this, and I agree with what lizerina says. Try to stay in one tense. Also, try to have a stronger ending. Keep writing! I can't wait for more!

elizamc83 GOLD said...
elizamc83 GOLD, Concord, Massachusetts

"From now on, I don't care if my tea leaves spell 'Die, Ron, die,' I'm chucking them in the bin where they belong." -Ron Weasley

i really like your description! the only thing i would fix is your tenses, you kept switching back and forth from past to present. but nice job! i think you should add more to this, it would make a good longer story!