Fishin' in the Dark | Teen Ink

Fishin' in the Dark

May 24, 2012
By ShelbyLyn SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
ShelbyLyn SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
9 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
No promises


396 days ago, you asked me to be yours. That night was unforgettable. That night you said you loved me


You took my hand and you walked us to the river. You set out a blanket covering the cool growing grass and we sat down. We sat close together, hand in hand. You and I tried catching those small Mino fish, laughing, trying not to fall into the slow, cooled water. We got tired and laid down on the soft blanket. The warm night comforting us as we counted the stars.

All of a sudden you randomly told me, “You should know that I own pink things.” I sat up to and replied, “Oh, is that so?” Kinda of confused by the outburst.

“Your shoes, shirt, bow, phone...”

“Oh. I see.”

“And these...” you turned my face towards you and held me in your careful hands, then kissed me ever so gently. The fireworks exploding around us in all colors possible. My heart pounding and racing as if it were to break from the incarceration of my ribs. So this is what love is.

“I love you.” He said in a sweet whisper.

“I love you too.” I replied with the blush in my cheeks, ready to burst.

“Nevermind I think love is an understatement. I’m IN love with you.”

“Wow.” That was all I could squeeze from my lips. Then I thought, he could really be the man I’m going to spend the rest of my life with. I love him. I know this is real. What we have... Is true love. You only find true love once in your life.

Him and I. Here we are, by the river at midnight. Just two people in love. We did this same thing every night and one night I started singing.

“You and me go fishin’ in the dark, lyin’ on our back just countin’ the stars, where the cool grass grows. Down by the river in the full moon light, we’ll be fallin’ in love in the middle of the night, just movin’ slow. Spend the whole night thru, feels so good to be with you.”

You simply smiled and told me, “You’re beautiful and amazing. You just take my breath away and make me happy every day. I love you.”

“I love you too”

“I love you most.”

I can’t help but to blush. He’s amazing too. More than amazing. I don’t even know how to explain it. He’s ... Perfect.


The next night we went to the same spot, doing the same thing, singing the same things. But today he wasn’t the same. He was nervous and shaky and always looking at me all worried. So, I had to ask, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing”

“It doesn’t seem like nothing. I’m actually starting to get worried.”

“Don’t be.”

“I can’t help it. I love you. And if somethings wrong I want to know.”

“Well...”

“Yes?”

“I love you, more than anything.”

“I love you too.”

“That’s why I have to ask.”

“What?”

“Honey, will you marry me, so I don’t have to wake up one more morning and not be with you?” He pulled out a clear diamond, green emerald engagement ring. I paused and looked into his gorgeous blue eyes and smiled. My eyes started to water, and before I knew it I was crying. Then, finally I said, “Yes!”

You held my left hand, slid the ring on my finger and said you loved me. I looked down on the ring, my ring that sat on my skinny finger.

“I love you so much, Honey.”

“I love you more.”

“I love you most.”

“This will be forever, because I love you and I will never leave you. This will be forever.” Then you kissed me as if it was our last.


And it was. I come to your name engraved stone rock. I wrote our last date the day I heard you left me. What happened to, you promise to never leave me? What happened to forever? It’s gone. Forever ended yesterday.

I sit by your grave and read you about that night, down by the river. When I said yes. That was the starting of my life. You were the best part. Now you’re gone. I’m mad at you for leaving me. But, in the end, I always cry. I miss you. Then I lay down trying to get as close to you as I can, and started singing.

“You and me go fishin’ in the dark, lyin’ on our backs just countin’ the stars, where the cool grass grows. Down by the river in the full moonlight, we’ll be fallin’ in love in the middle of the night, just movin’ slow. Spend the whole night thru, it feels so good to be with you.”


The author's comments:
It's okay to grieve about the people you love the most.

Don't forget them.