Something Right | Teen Ink

Something Right

By Staystrong13 PLATINUM, Royse City, Texas
Staystrong13 PLATINUM, Royse City, Texas

"What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." -T.S. Eliot

The moon’s silhouette ripples across the surface of the water as the cool air nipping at my finger tips. The nippiness is replaced by the warmth of your fleece jacket as you lay it over my shoulders. The fire makes shadows that dance in the icy ground and the wind tickles the grass as an owl sings us a lullaby. The stars wink and sparkle above us as Orion protects us from the predators of the night. I lean into your chest, listening to your heart push life through your veins as you wrap your arms around me, holding me closer to you. Your unfailing heart whispers secret messages to me through your soft flannel shirt.
Your steady breath warms my skin as you gently kiss my shoulder, moving up my neck, tracing up my jaw line until you find my lips. Your affection over comes me as your strong arms flex tighter around my waist and you kiss my hair. I allow my eyes to close and a content sigh escapes my lips. You whisper happy dreams into my ear, reciting poems by all of my favorite people, including some of your own. The pure tranquility in your voice nearly drags me into a lighter state of consciousness but I fight it off just long enough to hear you whisper “I love you.” I cannot stop the smile that crosses my face as I whisper, “I love you too,” into the crease of your elbow and to the night air. You stroke my hair with swift deliberate movements putting me deeper and deeper into your trace. All seems to be right in the world and I can only hope it lasts forever. My heart is forever yours. Time passes us by without meaning and I feel that for the first time in my life I have actually done something right.