Whatever Life May Bring Us | Teen Ink

Whatever Life May Bring Us

By AnnaBjorge BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
AnnaBjorge BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

Well, today is the day. I’m not sure what to think! It’s the day of my wedding. I guess it’s just a wedding, but the fact that I’m only 19 terrifies me. Yeah, a wedding… I know what you’re thinking. “That girl doesn’t know what she’s getting into. She shouldn’t be getting married!” To be completely honest, I don’t know what I’m getting into. My boyfriend Andrew and I have been dating since the seventh grade. We went to every school dance together, both proms, and were crowned Homecoming King and Queen. I guess you could say that we were the “School’s Couple.” We’ve never dated anyone besides each other, and we’ve never fought until just recently. I hate fighting with him.

The reason behind these fights, and that the marriage is being so rushed is because of a very stupid decision we made. We decided to have sex. We thought that we were mature enough, and were almost sure nothing bad would end of it. Obviously, we were wrong. Well, I’m five and a half months pregnant now. It’s a weird thought to think that there is a little baby inside of me. I don’t know who he or she is, but I love them already.

Even if I had a choice to who would be the father of my baby, it would for sure be Andrew. I’m so happy that he’s been here for me the whole time. He promised to stick with me no matter what! Even when I am being such a jerk to him, he still loves me. I just want us to be happy again, like before.

I’ve never been too enthralled in the thought of a big celebration for a wedding. I’ve always thought the idea of a couple family members coming to have a small party in a little church was just fine. My soon to be mother-in-law was put in charge of the party though. She’s the social butterfly/city girl type of person. So it will be held in a big church, and the reception will be held in my in-laws backyard. Many people that I don’t even know will be there! If it were up to me, I’d be walking down the aisle in sweatpants and a fleece sweater, not an expensive white dress. My dress is definitely the most beautiful dress I’ve ever seen though. It’s long, strapless, and has a creamy tint to it. The top is silky and smooth, while the bottom half is covered in white lace.

As I look out the window, I see an assortment of white roses, table cloths, and a huge white three-layered cake. All white. It was as if everything on the ground was covered in a layer of snow by how much white there was! I turned around to see my mom, standing there behind me.
She said “How are you feeling, dear?”

“Ah, I’m fine. Just nervous I guess,” I sheepishly lie.

“Are you almost ready?” she asks as she gives me a huge and needed hug.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” I reply.

As I go outside with my mom to get in the car headed to the church, I look at the ground petrified in thought. I can’t believe I’m getting married. It all feels like a long dream. “I can’t be pregnant,” I think to myself.

We’re almost to the church. There are shiny cars everywhere. Out of them come men, women, and children in their finest attire. All of the men’s hair are slicked back and are wearing black suits and ties, while the women are wearing bubbly white dresses and holding umbrellas. The little boys are wearing little white suits with small bow ties, and the little girls are wearing floral dresses with pink lace. I feel like I’m living back in the 1950’s with everyone looking so classy. Just the thought they’re all here for me scares me. Why am I here? I start panicking on the inside, but remain with a solemn look on the outside. Not only is there a baby inside of me, but a scared little girl screaming for help.

My mom and some family members bring me down the hall to the back of the church, my mind is spinning. They fix up my make-up one last time, and they tell me I’m ready to go. I want to just leave, and run away… but I know I can’t do that. I can’t do that to my parents, the guests, the baby, and I cannot do that to Andrew.

There he is. I finally see him as we get ready for the great amount of picture taking to begin. He looks so dapper in his suit and tie, like the handsomest man in the world. Andrew kisses my forehead and tells me I look beautiful. My head stops spinning, and I’m finally a little calmer. He holds my hand, and the lights from the cameras begin flashing as if we are being trailered by the paparazzi. Both of us hate having our pictures taken, but we laugh it off because we’re going through it together. Once pictures are over with, the service begins. I sit outside of the sanctuary nervously until I hear the bridal march start to play. My dad locks his right arm with my left, and we begin to walk.
My father and I had always been quite close growing up. I was always “Daddy’s little girl,” but ever since he found out the news about the baby, he has acted like a totally different person around me. More of a bitter side has shown through. The last few days he’s been back to his old joking and smiling self though, which I am very thankful for because now is the time I need him most. He looks down at me with that smile he always gives me, and I realize that he is getting older too. It makes me sad that time is going by so quickly. What I also notice went by quickly is how fast we walked down the aisle! We’re already at the front of the pews! I look into my dad’s dark green eyes and stand on my tip-toes to give him a kiss on the cheek, and tell him I love him. He gives me a hug, and goes to sit down next to mom in the very front.
I turn around, and see one thing, and one thing only. My soon to be husband is looking at me down the stairs with the biggest grin. Everything is silent to me, but as I begin to tune back in to real life, I hear the organ’s prelude fade out. As soon as I know it, I’m at the front of the church holding hands with the love of my life listening to the pastor preach. Andrew whispers to me once again how much he loves me, and I think about how lucky I am. This boy loves me unconditionally. He still loves me even though he has watched me gain so much weight with the baby. He’s seen me without make-up on, he’s seen me so sick to the point where I’m throwing up into a bucket, and yet still will hold my hair back for me. Stupid morning sickness, that’s one thing that I am excited to be done with. Our baby is so lucky to have Andrew as a father.
While the preacher speaks, I realize that my feelings of nervousness have been replaced with butterflies. I know everything will be okay now. I say my vows, and now it’s Andrew’s turn to say his. He looks into my eyes, and says “I, Andrew Turner, take you to be my loving and faithful wife. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow old together. I want to be with you every day for the rest of my life, falling in love a little more every day. I promise to love and cherish you, through whatever life may bring us. “