When A Nerd Falls In Love | Teen Ink

When A Nerd Falls In Love

By novsy14 BRONZE, Jakarta, Other
novsy14 BRONZE, Jakarta, Other

"It is not about doing the best, it is about doing better."

Jenna was walking down the street when she saw that mysterious guy with the black leather jacket who was strangely smiling at her. She looked around, hoping that it wasn’t her the guy smiling at. But, cr*p! It was her, really. She chose to walk over, pretending that she didn’t see that guy. Jenna never liked strangers. Maybe that was the reason why she didn’t know many people. She was an outcast at her school, but she never thought it was a big deal. She never wanted to befriend many people. She was never interested in boys. She thought that the football captain had an average face.
It was a quarter to nine and she just arrived at school. She never arrived at school as early as this. She usually arrived at nine. She didn’t like arrive at school early. It was because if she arrived early, she would have nothing to do. She wasn’t a sociable person, so all she could do was sleeping in the classroom. But, what could happen if she slept before the school started? Maybe, the popular girls would take a picture of her, then shared it on Facebook. Popular kids were cruel, that was Jenna always thought.
But that day, the twenty fifth of November, the only reason Jenna went to school earlier, it was because her mother didn’t cook breakfast, and because she couldn’t cook, the only thing she could do was going to school as early as she could, and bought macaroni and cheese in the school cafeteria. If they sold beef lasagna, that was much better. She couldn’t and wouldn’t skip a meal. She ate so much. She loved all kinds of food. But, she couldn’t get fatter even she ate ten plates in a day. That was the only positive thing about her, she always thought. She thought that every person had only one gift. If someone was given a pretty face, then they couldn’t be smart.
But, when that guy came – no, not the mysterious guy – Jenna quickly changed her point of view. Harry Erickson was the most gorgeous person God created. His face, to Jenna, was more than average, which meant to normal girls: super hot. His smile could make the whole world fly. His body was just great. He was a member of the basketball team, and also, he joined the science club. What a whole package! Good-looking, cool, and smart. Shortly, Harry Erickson was just… perfect.
“I need his phone number as soon as possible,” said Jenna, very quietly. She just wanted to approach that hot guy, when suddenly she realized something. “Wake up, Jenna. Nobody even recognize you, and now you want to attract the hottest guy in the school!” She looked at herself who was wearing a very nerdy blouse and an old vest that she wore to the school everyday. She stared at her ugly sneakers. It wasn’t because her parents didn’t have enough money to buy her some edgier clothes. But, it was Jenna, who never cared about her appearance at all. She immediately took a look to some popular girls who was walking down the hallway. They wore super fashionable things. Neon-colored dress and faux fur coat, with a pair of bright-colored Dr. Martens. They looked stylish, she thought. Just then, she saw Harry, who was staring at her, and then gave her his very attractive smile. Jenna smiled back, thinking she would kill for his smile. For this guy, she was willing to change her look and her personality. She would do anything to win his love.

* * *

“Why are you smiling strangely like that?” asked Adrianna, Jenna’s elder sister, who was a fashion stylist.
“I am in love…” she answered, without realizing that the person who asked the question was her sister. She never wanted her sister to know what she was thinking and feeling. She knew that her sister would give her cruel comments.
“What? A nerd falls in love. Isn’t it insane?” replied Adrianna.
“Oh my God! I was just joking. I didn’t know that it was you who asked me that silly question. I thought it was Aunt Barbra.”
“Calm down, girl. I know you are really in love. So, tell me, who’s that unlucky guy that you loved,” Adrianna asked.
“He is the most handsome guy I’ve ever seen… I love his smile. It can take me to Mars!”
“So, why are you still here, if his smile can take you to Mars?”
“Shut up, Adrianna! I just want his attention, his heart. I just want to get to know him more. I just want to be his girl,” Jenna imagined.
“Then do it! Tell him you’re attracted to him, and ask him on a date. Isn’t it simple, Miss Complicated?”
“It’s not that easy, Adrianna. Look. He is perfect. Me? I am nothing. I have nothing to attract him. He would be attracted to the popular girls. They are very fashionable. They wear gorgeous clothes each day. And me?” she complained. Adrianna stared at her for a couple of minutes. Jenna, realizing that her sister was staring at her, stared back, then started thinking.
“Oh my god, Adrianna! Thank God, my sister is a fashion stylist!”

* * *

“Good morning, Harry,” Jenna greeted him that morning. Harry turned back, and wowed by Jenna’s new appearance. With candy-colored mini dress, black leather coat, Chanel bag, Jimmy Choo high heels, and some accessories, she looked totally hot. Every pair of eyes watch her every second. Her wardrobe had been upgraded by her sister. She didn’t even know where were her old vests and blouses. She just knew she would wow everybody. And, she was right.
“Oh, hi, Jenna!” replied him nervously. He seemed not believing who was standing in front of him. Who was that? It wasn’t Jenna Simpson. It was Jenna-super-hot-Simpson.
“Wanna go out with me for dinner this evening?” asked her, with a very seductive voice and movements. She touched his shoulder a few times – the thing she would never do two weeks ago.
“Um… yes, of course,” answered him.
“Rowena Restaurant, 8 pm,” she whispered seductively. He couldn’t help but nodded his head. He was so speechless at that time.

* * *

“So, Jenna, would you mind to tell me why you change your appearance?” asked Harry, during their dinner.
Jenna answered, “Well, I think this is the right time to upgrade my old wardrobe.”
“The right time?” he asked, curiously.
“Because I’ve already found you,” she answered with a big smile on her face.
“Wait, me?”
“Yes. I thought you would like it if I changed my appearance and you would be attracted to me.”
“No, it’s not like what you think, Jenna. You just don’t understand.”
“What should I understand? I know every guy likes the popular girls. They are edgy, cool, and fashionable. If I dress like them…”
“Jenna, look. Honestly, I like you just the way you are. I don’t look for the appearance in a girl. I look for their heart and their inner beauty. You change your appearance doesn’t mean you change everything in you.”
“Why can’t you appreciate me? I would do anything to win your heart. But you don’t understand. It’s not easy being me, you know, Harry?” said Jenna, disappointed. She wanted to scream, but she couldn’t.
“I appreciate you, Jenna. But I like to see the real you. This isn’t right. I love the real you. The nerdy Jenna, not the hot Jenna.”
“Maybe I wasn’t born for doing this stuffs. Maybe I wasn’t the right one for you. Good night, Harry,” said her, then she ran out of the restaurant. Harry tried to chase her, but it was too late. She was already in the cab, broken-hearted, crying. She just wished she was born as somebody else, one of the popular girls for example.

* * *

Jenna was back to her usual routine. She was also wearing her old clothes. She didn’t care of what people said. She was too broken. That day at the school felt so long, because she really wanted to go home. She wanted to cry as much as she want. She was very glad when finally she heard the bell rang.
She was walking down the street when she heard someone’s voice calling her name. She turned back. It was Harry. “What do you want, Harry? Are you satisfied? I am back. This is the old Jenna whom you said you loved. Are you satisfied that you have broken my heart and ruined my life?”
Harry was silent for a couple of minutes. He never thought he has ruined someone’s life. “No, not at all, Jenna. Look, I said I loved the old you. I really do. This is who you really are. You don’t have to pretend you’re someone else to attract me. You’ve already attracted me, Jenna. I loved your silly nerdy look. That is what represents you,” he explained.
Jenna couldn’t say anything. She was speechless. She wanted to cry, not because she was broken, but because she was relieved.
“Now, Jenna, would you be my girl?” asked Harry. He asked the question she always wanted to hear. Jenna nodded her head. “Of course, I would,” answered her, very happily. Harry hugged Jenna right away. Both of them were so happy. Jenna was so glad that her new boyfriend could accept her for who she was.

I'm addicted to Glee - yes, the TV show. Glee club is a club of bunch of losers. Suddenly I got an idea, what if a loser falls in love with a cool guy.

novsy14 BRONZE said...
on Jun. 7 2012 at 3:19 am
novsy14 BRONZE, Jakarta, Other

thanks for the feedback! :]

novsy14 BRONZE said...
on Jun. 7 2012 at 3:19 am
novsy14 BRONZE, Jakarta, Other

thanks for commenting :)

novsy14 BRONZE said...
on Jun. 7 2012 at 3:18 am
novsy14 BRONZE, Jakarta, Other

thank you so much ;)

SillyNerd said...
I wished i was longer though. But It's all Good, Nice Story. Keep it up. ;-)

diana19 said...
on Apr. 4 2012 at 8:48 am
i like the story, it's very romantic! :)

Kamila25 said...
on Apr. 4 2012 at 3:22 am
Great story:-D

novsy14 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 4 2012 at 12:55 am
novsy14 BRONZE, Jakarta, Other

thank you so much for the comment, it's just I'm an Indonesian and I don't know enough vocabularies. :-)

Zuccini75 BRONZE, Chantilly, Virginia

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder, than telling them yourself."
-Myself

I really like the idea, but was it just me or did some phrases seem over used- or re-used? Good writing, but it ended too... shortly- like it all of a sudden.

Sorry if I sound critical-y-ish, I really liked your writing!