Beautiful | Teen Ink

Beautiful

By Logan_Elizabeth28 BRONZE, Willard, Ohio
Logan_Elizabeth28 BRONZE, Willard, Ohio

Just Promise Me You'll Think Of Me Everytime You Look Up In The Sky And See A Star
-Eminem
"You're The Beautiful One, It's Society That's Ugly"
-Marilyn Monroe
"Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock!"
-The Big Bang Theory

My name is Kylie Jackson. I’m not some girl you go up to and you call me your friend on the spot. Before I consider you a friend, I need to get to know you better. You call me picky for all I care, I just need to know if you’re a reliable friend or a friend who turns out to be a complete back stabber in the end. I have been backstabbed so many times in my life by friends, I don’t want it to happen again. If you’re a person who picked this up and suspected it to be a comedy, put the book down now and walk away. I’m a 16 year old, 5’9 girl who weighs 185 pounds. I live in New York City. Scratch that, I used to live in New York City. My dad got a new job in the small town of Willard, Ohio. My dad is a bus driver, cool job huh? Not really. But it gives him money for supplies around the house. I was sitting in my soon to be old room, looking at the emptiness of my room. The holes in the walls where my posters hung, the location of where my bed had been, and the lovely mural on the wall my Aunt Kayla had painted for me before she passed. The mural was a picture of her, surrounded by Japanese cherry blossoms, her favorite flower, dressed in a kimono that fitted her beautify. I am not Japanese, Aunt Kayla just loved learning about Geishas. She had dreamed of one day going to Japan and doing a documentary on how a Geishas day is, but a bad accident took her life before she could go. “Kylie! Come on it’s time to go!” My dad yells from downstairs. I Pull my camera out and take a picture of the mural. I then looked around my room one last time and walked out the door, without looking back. My little sister, Annie, was sitting in the backseat with a blanket waiting for me to sit down. I got in the car and shut the door. Annie, being the 5 year old she is, lays her small body across the seat and her head on my lap. “Everyone say by house!” My dad says as he starts the car. I turn to my left and watched my house get smaller and smaller. Within 12 minutes of being in the car, Annie had fallen asleep. I threw her Hello Kitty blanket over her and watched her sleep. Within an hour after Annie had fallen asleep, I was still up, my mom was in the passenger seat, sleeping….and drooling, and Annie, who was the cutest thing you have ever saw when she is sleeping. I looked out the window to see nothing but darkness, no sun, no clouds, no sign to be seen. Me and dad were the only ones awake. “Kylie, do you want me to turn the radio on? I’ll put on your favorite C.D. You just seem kinda, you know, plain.” I looked at my dad and gave him a nod. He then turned the radio on to the song I adore, Beautiful by Christina Aguilera. As soon as I heard her sing this song, all I think of is my old school. “You’ll never have any friends with the way you look. Just look a you, you look like a deformed, rejected Muppet.”
“You’re a fat, ugly mess and will never make it anywhere in life.” “ Stuff 6 more Big Macs down your throat, you pig. You make me sick just hearing you talk.” Just thinking of them hateful words makes me feel unloved. On the radio, I hear Christina sing “I am beautiful, in every single way, words can’t keep me down. I am beautiful, no matter, what they say, words can’t keep me down. Don’t you bring me down today.” That’s the song that represents me. I am beautiful, inside and out, and I honestly do not care how much the words may hurt me, how much they make me want to disappear from the face of the earth, I’m gonna stay right here, and suck it up. I start to sing the next chorus of the song in the song. Not caring if Annie or mom are sleeping. As I start to doze off, I see bits of my dad’s head swaying in the review mirror, I hear the song fade in the background. “Don’t you bring me down…..ooohh, today.

Kylie Is My Alter Ego. I Came Home From School One Day And I Was Picked On That Same Day. I Sat Down At Wrote This And Felt Like A Weight Was Lifted Off My Shoulders.

starzforever GOLD, Sebring, Florida

being me is the greatest gift

love this one

_ella_herondale BRONZE, San Diego, California

"...If the Thames that ran beside them...recalled a night where the moon shone as brightly as a shilling on the same boy and girl... and thought to themselves, 'at last, the wheel comes full circle,' they kept their silence."

I have to say.... good job! I thought it had a very srong feel to it. The emotions were real, and the characters even more so. As much as I love this, I also think you need dto go back and look at some of the random mistakes, and switch up the vocab a bit (For ex. u used sleep three or four times in three or four sentences), this happens to me all the time so i totally get it. Good Job!

KateLynnLeigh BRONZE, Farmersburg, Indiana

"The only way to get to the top is to get off your bottom."

very powerful... I love it!

Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Very moving and I can relate. I remember in elementary school where I resumed the rule of not the bullied but the bully. A bunch of people and I used to follow her around, call her names, etc. She used to cry. One day we finally realized how terrible we were being, we apologized. I'm friends with her now but I still feel bad thinking about it.

Logan_Elizabeth28 BRONZE, Willard, Ohio

-Eminem
-Marilyn Monroe
"Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock!"
-The Big Bang Theory

Why thank you :) I never thought i would be able to construct a piece of work like this. It was hard to pick a main character who could feel this way. It was honestly a hard thing for me to write because most of the comments in the story are things i have been told to my face. Once i was done writting this, i re-read this and was happy I got this all off my shoulders. So to know that someone liked this, makes me feel even better about myself. So once again, Thank You :)

~Logan~

Macman11231 BRONZE, Rhinebeck, New York
wow very effective powerful story. you make it very simple to feel empathy for the main character. good job.