An Untold Secret | Teen Ink

An Untold Secret

February 27, 2012
By ShelbyStarBender BRONZE, Plainwell, Michigan
ShelbyStarBender BRONZE, Plainwell, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everyday I'm tumblin'


Breathe in. Breathe out. Fog, caused by my release of breath, strolls across the air. The upcoming events have my mind in a tangle. A mixture of anxiety and excitement consumes my mind. The sounds of my feet dragging loose gravel across the sidewalk can be heard as I walk towards the concert hall. As I get closer, the blaring music becomes louder and clearer.

As I step into the building, the feeling of nausea overcomes me. I take a deep breath to push the feeling down. It helps a bit, but not a lot. I need to get this over with. If I don’t, my mind will unravel itself. Plus, once I find Dylan, I will be able to enjoy the concert – hopefully. I look to my left, then to my right. All I can see is a sea of strangers. I come here often and usually know my way around. Today is different. I feel like I’m trapped in a maze.

I see the bar on the far wall. It seems like a good place to look for Dylan. I attempt to make my way through the energetic crowd. I can feel many sweaty bodies bumping into me. I’m always one of those bodies. I usually feel welcome among them, but today I feel the urge to escape. I just need to get to the bar. I slowly made my way across the hall. The small bartender sits behind the tall bar, waiting for someone to buy something.

“Can I get a water bottle please?” I ask quietly. I know if I talk to loudly my voice will crack out of nervousness.

‘Yeah. It will cost you a dollar though.” She walks away. I assume she is getting the water bottle I asked for. I reach into my right pocket in search for the dollar I placed there early today. I feel my finger brush against it. I grab a hold on to it and pull it out. The young bartender came back, so I hold out my dollar for her. She take the dollar then hands me the water.

I turn around to go searching again. Instead, I find Dylan standing behind me. I didn’t notice him standing behind me. Most likely due to the fact I am use to having him around. Dylan stands 3 inches taller than me. The light reflects off of his dark hair. His is also smiling. That has to be a good sign. It also calms my nerves a bit. Hopefully what he is about to tell me will be good.

“Hey Darcy.” His voice sounds nervous.

“Hi. So, there is something you need to tell me?”

“Yeah. I’m not sure how to say this or even if I should say it. I’ve kept it a secret for a long time. Almost for as long as I’ve known you. You are my best friend and...” I cut him off.

“you needed to tell me we are best friends? Dylan, that isn’t a secret. Everyone knows we are best friends.”

“No. That isn’t what I want to tell you.”

“Then what is it?”

“Darcy, I love you. Not like a best friend either. I love you as more then a best friend. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

“Dylan, I don’t know what to say. We are so young. We just graduated and I’m going to college soon. You still have no idea what you are going to do from here.”

“Age is but a number. Plus, I am willing to follow you where ever you decide to go. You said it yourself. I have no plans with my life, so it doesn’t matter where I go to decide.”

I am not sure what to say. I’ve never really thought much about this subject. I’ve thought at times that maybe I liked him more then a friend, but the thought of being in love never occurred to me. Dylan stands watching my face. He is looking for some kind of emotion or idea of what I am thinking. Before my mind would for a sentence, my mouth, or maybe it was my heart, made words of its own come out.

“I love you too.” These words have never felt so true. And I think it’s what I’ve felt along.