My Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Friend

By VeronicaTrolovski BRONZE, Marysville, Washington
VeronicaTrolovski BRONZE, Marysville, Washington

Have you ever met someone, and the moment you saw them, you knew? This is the story of a girl who met a friend named Patrick, and her story that has yet to be finished…

I walk into the new school, bright eyed, looking around at all of the strange faces that I will call my friends later on. I walk to each of my classes with anxiousness and hope, happy that I am finally in a normal school. The past few months have been tough for me, I recently broke up with someone who lied to me about loving me. God… can I please have someone to love, for everything they are? Someone that I can hold and be with forever? I want a sign, God. Please. That is all I wish for” I thought to myself while in class. I’ve had such a rough life, and whenever I “loved” someone, I just put myself in a bad position. I always “loved” more than one person, and I’m done with that. I just want one person, the person for me. The next place I had to go was Advisory (I’m going to leave out the part where I went to the wrong class, because that is off the point) I walked in there, unsure where to sit, I sat down wherever I thought was best (Which happened to be the front of the class.) and when I sat there, I looked around at the kids around me with curiosity. Then a boy, about my age, with mid-length brown hair sat next to me and he smiled at me, I started to blush as I found myself gasp because I had a sudden feeling, and the other people that I “loved” I couldn’t care less about now. They didn’t matter to me anymore. I looked at him and introduced myself and he joked around, and I found it easy to laugh at his jokes, to get along with him. It was perfect for me to talk to him; it was so natural, I was very nervous though. He introduced himself as Patrick, and I had developed feelings for him. A few days later, after becoming more acquainted, which was surprisingly easy for us, I asked him if I could have his phone number, because I wanted to learn more about this person. He put his phone number in my phone, and silly as we were, I was texting him while he sat right next to me. It was so fun to talk to him. A little bit about me; I always have to ask questions about the person I’m friends with, I don’t quite know why, I just enjoy knowing what they’re favorite things are because then they feel like they’re special by having every little thing matter to that person. I talked to him all day, everyday, then after a little while I found out that he had a girlfriend, and that crushed me. I thought that I was done looking, but I guess I was wrong I thought. I pushed that aside, he said that I would only have a chance if they broke up; he said that he would consider me after that because he admitted that he had a crush on me too. Which is wrong since he has a girlfriend already. Everyday that we talked, I loved him more and more each time, and I started to hate her since she always put him in a bad mood. I mean, why date someone that you don’t get along with? Why put yourself through that? When you could have something better? I just wanted to understand why he was with her, which I still am trying to do. I still don’t know why, but there’s little one can do there. We talked literally all day, everyday, and I continued to chase after him, because I wanted to keep some hope in my life. He filled my heart with hope, because I knew that he was the one for me, I still do know. I don’t know how I know this, but I do. It’s true. We continued to talk, but more like flirt, which was definitely wrong. But he continued to talk sweet to me. One time, my parents were arguing, I was so afraid that they were going to fight again, so I closed myself up in my room hearing my father leave the house and my mother yelling after him, I sat in my dark room and cried, afraid of what was going to happen next. I still had my dad’s phone, and I knew his number, so I decided to text Patrick, and I asked if he was still awake, he texted back. He is such an amazing friend because even though I was upset, crying and really sad, he could cheer me up. We talked for hours and hours, and he got me to laugh. How he is able to do that is beyond me. A few weeks passed and after a while he told me that I should move on, which for me – is impossible - I don’t care who you are or what you say, it is for me. After all we had been through; he told me this over the phone, which is a good idea, seeing as how much trouble it is for me to get over him and all that. He talked to me and tried to convince me to do so, and I began to cry. He can hear every little sigh that comes from me when we’re on the phone which amazes me, and I could hear his voice start to crack up, and he got quiet and asked if I was going to be alright. I said no, and continued to cry. Even when I’m crying that kid can make me laugh, it’s insane. After a couple of months of knowing him, it feels like it’s been forever, as if I’ve known him in a past life or something. But that is beside the point. I’m really glad that he was put in my life, I’m not sure what he’s for just yet, because I’m so frustrated with how he has a girlfriend and continues to play around with me. We have agreed to be friends with benefits, but I cannot just think of him as a friend, it is impossible for me to do so. I can’t just let go of him because the last time that I “tried”… I went back to him again. I don’t know why I cannot be happy in this world, I want more than anything to be with him so that I may love him and be kind, and show him that he is worth something. Because that is what every single human being on this earth deserves, and nothing less. I’ll try my best to make him see that I will always be there for him as a friend and maybe more in the future. Always trust in your heart and love, because it happens. It will. I promise.

I wasn't sure if I should have wrote this. I think it sounds a little mediocre, so be kind about your comments please.

on Mar. 2 2012 at 2:54 pm
RichardMagooch BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
I know how that feels... going through something like that, good luck. God always helps with that, so pray about it.