Basically Human | Teen Ink

Basically Human

By Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin

“Are you even human?” I asked, disgusted.

“Basically. They… altered my DNA at birth. I’m like a superhuman I guess.” She muttered, eyes averted.

“I can’t believe this. I’m leaving, and you better not follow.”
“Please, wait!”

“For what?” I retorted angrily. “So you can spin me another lie?! No! I won’t wait around for that.” Does this girl think she can just play with my heart? She’s just a lab experiment. I can’t believe I fell for her.

“They’re just nameless men in suits, coming to take me away! How can you side with them? How can you think that I’m some sort of monster? How can you just give up our entire relationship for nameless men in suits? I thought you hated those types of people!”

Right before I turn away, I glance at the five buff men in identical suits, each wearing the same small, coy smile, and I noticed a shift in Isabel’s guilty expression. Her knuckles became white as she gripped the chair in front of her. “Get out.” She said quietly.

I can’t believe her! If she thinks she can tell me when to leave after all of this she has another thing coming, “How dare you! I cannot believe-“

“Get out!” She shrieks, eyes blazing with a sort of pain that I’ve never say in her. However, the urgency of her words did not weaken my fierce determination. Now the men who came to escort her to her next mission, that was another matter altogether.

The tallest of the men says, “We know you don’t trust her anymore, nor does she deserve your trust, but you really must be going. Deadly consequences wait if you don’t get out of this room in the next five seconds.”

The men all rush out and I follow as well. They shut the door quickly and I hear an extremely loud explosion. It sounds like nothing I have ever heard before. I’m not even sure how to explain it. The men count to five on the fingers, signally when it’s safe to go back in. I walk in gingerly, and the whole apartment looks different from when I last saw it. The walls, floors, and ceilings are all covered in a thick layer of soot, and I can see scorch marks everywhere. Scanning the room for Isabel I see- Oh god no! Isabel is lying on the floor with a large cut on her forehead. I rush to her side.

“Isabel, Isabel can you hear me??” I scream.

She coughs up some blood and manages a weak smile, “Yea, loud and clear.”

“What just happened?”

“It was just a power burst. It can happen when I’m under a lot of stress or emotional trauma.” She sputters and coughs up more blood. “So, does my near death experience make you feel compelled to forgive me?”

“Well, for someone who’s only basically human, you’re pretty hard to hold a grudge on. Especially when we’re this close, you practically bleeding to death in my arms. Pretty romantic, huh?”

Isabel laughs, and then we began to kiss. That was until the men in suits shot a round of bullets, and said it was time to go. I might have forgiven her for lying, but the place that… created her I guess; well they still want her back. Too bad I’m not giving her up without a fight.

pandagirl312 GOLD, Leawood, Kansas
Interesting. I think this should definitely be a longer piece with more detail, but it's a nice start. I'd like to know more about the characters, setting, circumstances, etc. Nicely done, you've got me intrigued :)

Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
Haha yea, maybe if i get bored of all the other stuff Im writing I will. ((too late I get bored of pieces easily XD))

TTTeeSS GOLD said...
TTTeeSS GOLD, La Porte, Colorado

There is no such thing as nothing, yet there is such thing as nothing, simply because there is nothing such as nothing.

I have to agree that this would make a nice book. I understand the whole no time thing though!

Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
Thanks, but Im writing so many books right now I cant add another one XD lolz maybe in the future... Thanks!!!

Edge_of_the_World BRONZE, Elgin, Illinois
Nice use of imagery.  You should really develop this into a full book.

Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
Thank u. I was trying to demonstrate how so many ppl don't realize how much they love someone until its too late, but Im a sucker for happy endings so of course i couldnt kill her :)

DaughteroftheTrumpet BRONZE, East Aurora, New York

Washington Irving once said “There is sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love.”

Very interesting, and it is certainly a different way to view love. In order to have a strong relationship, I believe that both parners must be understanding of the other's faults. "Love is Blind" as said by Lifehouse. Great job. ^_^