The Venom | Teen Ink

The Venom

December 16, 2011
By Anonymous

"I have cancer." The words were like poison dripping out of her lips. I did not know what to say. I took her hand into mine and brought it up to my face and lightly kissed it. 

I had known Gabrielle since the second grade back-to-school barbecue. I was the new kid that year. Gabrielle walked up to me with two curly pigtails bobbing on each side of her head. "Hi," she said. I could feel blood rushing up to my face, I had never talked to a real girl before. "My names Gabrielle, and I'm going to marry you one day. We will be best friends." She went on talking about how we were in the same class and Mrs. Davis was our teacher, me remaining silent the entire time. True to her word somewhere between the second and eighth grade we became best friends. 

She called me at 12:42 in the afternoon on the first day of summer. "I need to see you, today." 
    "hah miss me already?" I joked.  
    "Mitch, I'm serious." I wrapped up the conversation agreeing to come to her house within the hour. 

I opened the side door to her house that led to the kitchen. Where I saw her mother finding support by leaning over the kitchen counter. I single tear found it's way down her cheek. "Gabrielle is in her room," she said without giving a clue that she noticed I was there. Everything seemed unusually dark, even the lights were dimmed. "Gabby," I said upon entering her room. She peered up with a solemn face, she walked to where I was stand. "I have to tell you something," she paused then continued. "I have cancer."


The author's comments:
For all those fighting the same battle this character is beginning.