After that summer | Teen Ink

After that summer

By TheOneThatWantsToShare GOLD, Bayboro, North Carolina
TheOneThatWantsToShare GOLD, Bayboro, North Carolina

Even when I dont know who I am there is always someone out there that does

The sea breeze made me shiver as I walked along with my boyfriend down the beach of the Atlantic ocean. It was a nice summer afternoon in May. “I can't believe this is actually happening!” I exclaimed.

“What can't you believe?” Kevin asked me as we moved a little so the waves wouldn't get our shoes wet.

“That your actually going to be moving in two weeks. I just don't want you to leave.” Kevin and I have been dating for almost a year now, and I was afraid a long distance relationship won't last.

“Well, I'm sorry, Annie, but I have to it's not really my choice.”

“Yea, I guess your right, but you know I'm a little doubtful on the long distance thing.” Kevin cleared his throat after that and looked away from me. Uh-oh, never a good sign right there. “Kevin what is it? What's wrong?”

“Annie..... I can't do this..... Your right about the long distance thing.” He let go of my hand and stopped walking to look at me closely. “ I don't think I have enough strength to do it, and I decided last night that I might as well start to let you go now then having wait for more pain later.”

Tears were welling up in my eyes, and one escaped while he finished what he was saying. I let my long auburn hair fall over my face, so he couldn't see the tears. “Kevin...... I...... I got to go....” I pushed away from him then, and ran up the beach ignoring him calling after me.

Once I got up close to the beach houses I realized that he drove me here, and I didn't know how else to get home. So, I decided I might as well start walking. I took out my cell phone, and told my mom I will probably be home a little late. Since it would take me about an hour to get home and it was a quarter to ten right now. I didn't want to bother her and ask her to come and get me so I decided to just keep walking and think for awhile.

The tears that were running down my cheeks now were starting to dry on my face. I got some tissues and a mirror out of my purse and fixed myself a little. I didn't want my brother to see me when I got home. He's protective, and would track Kevin down if he found this out.

I just didn't understand why Kevin would hurt me like this. I tried to think about me ever doing anything wrong. I was pretty popular, and when we started dating he wasn't. He was pretty much cooler than I was now. I convinced him to try out for football and now he's the star quarterback and he even got a full scholarship to his favorite college. I helped him do all that, and he was just going to push it aside now. Just because he was moving.

I didn't have that much going for me in life. I was on the schools acting drama, poetry club, and soccer team. I wasn't that good at any of them though. Ever since my dad died three years ago I found out I didn't have much going for me in life. I didn't even know what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I stopped crying halfway home. I decided to walk into Mike's Dinner, and get a milkshake. I didn't want to go home just yet. After I ordered my food I heard a familiar voice behind me. I turned around, and noticed Ralph Sheppard. A senior and the schools best baseball player. He's in my homeroom, and we chat causally from time to time. I invited him to sit down. He ordered himself something then smiled at me. Apparently I didn't wipe the tears away enough, because he asked me what was wrong. I just shook my head and let my hair fall over my face again. I didn't know him enough to tell him what was really wrong.

My little plan didn't work though, he reached over and grabbed my hand which laid on the table. I tried to pull away, but he wouldn't let me. “Annie, what is wrong? I know I am not your best friend or talk to you very much, but it looks like you've been crying pretty hard.” He sounded pretty concerned so I decided to tell him.

“Kevin broke up with me just because he didn't think he could handle the pain of a long distance relationship.” The tears were welling up again, but this time I didn't care. For some reason I felt good with Ralph next to me, holding my hand across the table. “He said he just wanted to get the pain over with now instead of having to deal with it in a new school, and all that.” I understood why he felt that way. I would have done the same thing, but only if I was sure that it would never work out. I guess that's why he did it though; because he knew it would never work out, so he didn't feel like putting in the effort.

I was so busy feeling sorry for myself that I didn't see that my milkshake and Ralph's food was here. I didn't even notice Ralph talking, so when I looked up I blushed, because I had to ask him to repeat what he had said. He didn't mind though. He smiled at me and said “I know things are tough, but you just have to keep your head up high. What's meant to be will happen in time, and if you guys were meant for each other then he'll come back. If you weren't then don't be sorry. He may not have been worth it.”

“I helped him though. I got him popular, and I get this out of it. I just don't see why it has to end this way. I do see your point though. I don't see why I should be sitting here sulking when I could just go have some fun.” I was getting excited now. “I'm single now right? So I should show people that I'm up for grabs.” I got up kissed Ralph on the cheek as a thanks. “ I have to get home, but thanks for the help. You just saved my weekend.”

“What about your milkshake?”

“You have it.” I took out a twenty and handed it to him.”Here's for your food and my milkshake. I'll see you Monday.” I smiled and then got up and left the restaurant. Ralph's right, and I was glad I talked to him. I felt a lot better.

The next day I felt pretty much the same way. I was pretty happy. I got a call from an un-known number while I was pouring myself some corn flakes. “Hello” I said into my cell.

“Hey, Annie. I'm sorry for calling so early. It's Ralph. I wanted to see if you were all right.” I assured him I was and said thank you again. Then he asked me if I wanted to go do something today. “I know that you just got out of a relationship, and all....... but, you don't have to say yes...” I laughed and said I was fine and would love to see him today. So we made plans to go to the movies later on and eat dinner together.

Later on that day, I actually felt nervous. I couldn't believe it. When he picked me up I realized that I had a crush on him for a long while, but never really noticed. He was pretty cute too. He was about 6 foot tall and had dark black hair with grass green eyes. I remembered that he was voted for the best smile in junior high. I could see why now. He was pretty charming all in all.

After the dinner and movie we went to the beach. (The same spot me and Kevin were last night.) Walking hand in hand we talked about ourselves. I noticed we had a lot in common and he was really sweet too. He kissed me, and it was like a kiss I never had before. It was soft, sweet, and passionate. “I have been wanting to do that for about two years now.” He explained while we were staring at the sunset on the ocean.

“Why wait so long?”

“I was afraid. I mean, you had so many boyfriends, and I decided just not to bother. I thought I could never get you to go out with me so I never tried. Well, until last night anyways. While I was talking to you I realized that I needed to give it a try. So, I did, and I'm glad you said yes.” He winked at me, and I laughed.

“Well, I'm glad I did too.” I leaned over and kissed him. I think I may be happier with him that I was with Kevin. It was just a hunch, but laying there looking at the sunset with Ralph everything seemed..... Right. I couldn't wait to find out too. We got up and walked hand in hand into along the beach. Into a life full of happiness, and big future possibilities that we would realize until later on.

on Feb. 10 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thanks alot(: That was really nice of you to say that(:

on Feb. 9 2012 at 8:01 pm
Volleyballgirl12 BRONZE, Birmingham, Alabama

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.
Helen Keller

That was amazing!! It was really sad at first but had a really touching and sweet ending!! Keep up the great work!!:)