To Forget

"You have to let go."

I just can't. How could I let go of the one person who makes me happy? How could I forget all those beautiful memories we shared? How could I ever forget his face? His eyes? His smile?

"I can't."

"But you must."

I didn't get why it had to be this way. Why couldn't everything stay the same? I liked how things were going. My life was practically perfect before this moment. This was destroying my future. Destroying my world itself.

"No matter what, I'm going. So you might as well let go, Sam."

"You know I would if I could, Jason."

From the first moment I laid eyes on Jason, I knew it was love at first sight. But now, seeing him telling me to let go, I had no idea what to think. He is the only person who has always been there for me. Letting go isn't an option.

"Sam, you have a big future. I just know it. But I won't be in it. I can't, and you know it."

I have known this day would come for years. He told me it would happen. I just pretended it wouldn't. Now it was happening, and I wasn't sure of anything. I just couldn't believe the day arrived. I never truly believed it would.

He grasped my hand weakly, and tears rolled down my cheeks. He wiped them away with his other hand. I could feel it shaking. I smiled, and he tried his best to smile back. I knew he was in a lot of pain.

"Please let go, for me."

"How?"

"That's something you have to figure out yourself, Sam."

His heart monitor stayed at a constant beat. It tormented me every second. I knew soon that Jason's heart was going to stop. And when it did, I had no idea what I was going to do.

"Sam, I love you so much. You know that, right?"

"Yes, I do."

I was sobbing, still holding Jason's weak, trembling hand. This was really happening. He really was dying. Right in front of me. And I could do nothing but watch.

"Then listen to me. Please. Promise that you'll forget about me. Promise that you will move on."

I look down and felt him staring at me. He really wanted me to forget everything. Sadly, I knew I had too. It was his dying wish. For me to forget. And since I love him, I had to listen.

"If that is what I have to do, I will."

"I'm sorry, Sam."

Jason's eyes close, and the heart monitor starts beeping. His grasp loosened to nothing. I sat there, sobbing, holding his cold, dead hand. This was it. It was all over.

And now, I just had to forget.

babyrex4 said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:45 am:
This was so touching, I almost cried! You would have brought almost all of us to tears if you let us know the characters more, and there was a lack of description and imagery. The dialogue is also kinda funky, and it takes awhile to realize who is talking to who. But otherwise this was really good. Honestly, this is a 4/5 but if you added what I mentioned above, then it would be a 5/5 or above!

chloe_garrettThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm:
I love this. may need some more detail. but great. :D 5/5

M.Vaughn said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 9:22 am:
that was good, but your tenth paragraph was a little shaky it seemed like you were saying the same thing over again. But I could really feel the pain Sam was in. Nice work

emmabergmanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 17, 2012 at 5:07 pm:
very good! The only thing I would suggest is to use more descriptive details, but other than that it was very well written and unexpected ! :)

M.A.Author said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm:
This was good. Sad, but well-written. If I had to come up with something I didn't like about it, however, I would say that it was a little bit cliche. But I like it anyways :D Cliches are cliches for a reason, and this does a good job of soliciting an emotional response.

i.hope.you.dance said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm:
Awwwwww, that was really really good!!! 5 stars, I liked it a lot

platypusesandthings said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:27 pm:
I really enjoyed this! I liked how you didn't just come out and say that he was dying. And even though you didn't exactly provide any details at all, it worked for the story and I thought it was incredibly well written.

KelliBThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm:
Super sweet. It is really well written. Personally i prefer pieces written from experience but that is just my preferences. Keep up the good work.

SuperFloreeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm:
Yay Jess! Good reviews! (^o^) *digital high five*

TerraRocksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm :
LOL your a funny bunny XD

FlyingJayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm:
Omg this is so sad. I love it

TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:26 am:
T^T That was so sad! I thought it was a breakup the whole time, and then BAM! He was dying! D: I have to add this to my favorites!

C.K.Snow said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 7:13 pm:
Wow, this was really good! Personally, romance isn't my favourite, but I really enjoyed this story. Can you rate and comment on my work please?

IcillictThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm:
I have no more words, i would just like to say this is beautiful and very creative. I am so glad you submitted this, it really shows that it sint always about boys and girls. :) cheers to you!!

zadiekatie23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:42 pm:
That was a real shocker - the whole time, I just thought it was a breakup. The suspense was perfect, you're drawn in by something you can relate to and then BAM! it really becomes a mystery. I really enjoyed reading that and I really enjoyed how you set it up. Thanks! :)

Donahue8 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm:
Great piece! I thought it was a break-up at first so i like the twist in there. It's a little unoriginal though in terms of dialog, but still great writing. My only comment is try to avoid stereotypes and typical situations. If you really love the topic try to word it in a way no one else has before, but other than that I really enjoyed it. Still a 5/5 in my book.

billgamesh11 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 7:41 pm:
Omg, this was just so good! I could feel everything Sam felt and I felt like I was Sam, even though that would be an unfortunate person to be :( But wow, this blew me away! Great Job and Keep Writing!!! :):):);)

NeverBroken said...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 11:10 pm:
Aww, this was sad, how he wants her to forget him, at first I thought he was just breaking up with her, that probably would have been a better situation to be in, getting broken up with rather than having the person you love dying, but i guess having someone you love die is a better story, anyways I love this short story, it deserves to be put in the teenink mag.