To Forget | Teen Ink

To Forget

January 26, 2012
By JessIsTheBest BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
JessIsTheBest BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hᴀᴘᴘɪɴᴇss ᴄᴀɴ ʙᴇ ғᴏᴜɴᴅ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋᴇsᴛ ᴏғ ᴛɪᴍᴇs, ɪғ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ᴛᴜʀɴ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪɢʜᴛ - Dᴜᴍʙʟᴇᴅᴏʀᴇ


"You have to let go."

I just can't. How could I let go of the one person who makes me happy? How could I forget all those beautiful memories we shared? How could I ever forget his face? His eyes? His smile?

"I can't."

"But you must."

I didn't get why it had to be this way. Why couldn't everything stay the same? I liked how things were going. My life was practically perfect before this moment. This was destroying my future. Destroying my world itself.

"No matter what, I'm going. So you might as well let go, Sam."

"You know I would if I could, Jason."

From the first moment I laid eyes on Jason, I knew it was love at first sight. But now, seeing him telling me to let go, I had no idea what to think. He is the only person who has always been there for me. Letting go isn't an option.

"Sam, you have a big future. I just know it. But I won't be in it. I can't, and you know it."

I have known this day would come for years. He told me it would happen. I just pretended it wouldn't. Now it was happening, and I wasn't sure of anything. I just couldn't believe the day arrived. I never truly believed it would.

He grasped my hand weakly, and tears rolled down my cheeks. He wiped them away with his other hand. I could feel it shaking. I smiled, and he tried his best to smile back. I knew he was in a lot of pain.

"Please let go, for me."

"How?"

"That's something you have to figure out yourself, Sam."

His heart monitor stayed at a constant beat. It tormented me every second. I knew soon that Jason's heart was going to stop. And when it did, I had no idea what I was going to do.

"Sam, I love you so much. You know that, right?"

"Yes, I do."

I was sobbing, still holding Jason's weak, trembling hand. This was really happening. He really was dying. Right in front of me. And I could do nothing but watch.

"Then listen to me. Please. Promise that you'll forget about me. Promise that you will move on."

I look down and felt him staring at me. He really wanted me to forget everything. Sadly, I knew I had too. It was his dying wish. For me to forget. And since I love him, I had to listen.

"If that is what I have to do, I will."

"I'm sorry, Sam."

Jason's eyes close, and the heart monitor starts beeping. His grasp loosened to nothing. I sat there, sobbing, holding his cold, dead hand. This was it. It was all over.

And now, I just had to forget.


The author's comments:
First off, thanks to SuperFloree for helping me edit this piece. Thanks so much buddy :D And second,I am not exactly sure what made me write this. I was thinking about the book "Girls Don't Fly" and how her boyfriend dumped her, and she is trying to forget everything. So, I based it around forgetting.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 18 comments.


on Feb. 19 2012 at 8:45 am
babyrex4 SILVER, Buffalo, New York
5 articles 6 photos 191 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.\"

Author Unknown

This was so touching, I almost cried! You would have brought almost all of us to tears if you let us know the characters more, and there was a lack of description and imagery. The dialogue is also kinda funky, and it takes awhile to realize who is talking to who. But otherwise this was really good. Honestly, this is a 4/5 but if you added what I mentioned above, then it would be a 5/5 or above!

on Feb. 18 2012 at 7:24 pm
chloena_garrett GOLD, Colorado City, Texas
19 articles 13 photos 180 comments

Favorite Quote:
At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

A poem is never finished, only abandoned.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

I love this. may need some more detail. but great. :D 5/5

M.Vaughn said...
on Feb. 18 2012 at 9:22 am
that was good, but your tenth paragraph was a little shaky it seemed like you were saying the same thing over again. But I could really feel the pain Sam was in. Nice work

on Feb. 17 2012 at 5:07 pm
emmabergman GOLD, ., New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 18 comments
very good! The only thing I would suggest is to use more descriptive details, but other than that it was very well written and unexpected ! :)

on Feb. 13 2012 at 1:30 pm
M.A.Author BRONZE, Rolla, Missouri
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya

"...Ideas are bulletproof." -- V

"Adventures make one late for dinner." -- Bilbo Baggins

This was good. Sad, but well-written. If I had to come up with something I didn't like about it, however, I would say that it was a little bit cliche. But I like it anyways :D Cliches are cliches for a reason, and this does a good job of soliciting an emotional response.

on Feb. 9 2012 at 8:33 pm
HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1979 comments

Favorite Quote:
Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

Awwwwww, that was really really good!!! 5 stars, I liked it a lot

on Feb. 9 2012 at 8:27 pm
screenname55555555, D, Alabama
0 articles 0 photos 10 comments
I really enjoyed this! I liked how you didn't just come out and say that he was dying. And even though you didn't exactly provide any details at all, it worked for the story and I thought it was incredibly well written.

KelliB GOLD said...
on Feb. 9 2012 at 8:20 pm
KelliB GOLD, Amarillo, Texas
15 articles 1 photo 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
- Bill Cosby

Super sweet. It is really well written. Personally i prefer pieces written from experience but that is just my preferences. Keep up the good work.

on Feb. 9 2012 at 8:12 pm
JessIsTheBest BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hᴀᴘᴘɪɴᴇss ᴄᴀɴ ʙᴇ ғᴏᴜɴᴅ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋᴇsᴛ ᴏғ ᴛɪᴍᴇs, ɪғ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ᴛᴜʀɴ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪɢʜᴛ - Dᴜᴍʙʟᴇᴅᴏʀᴇ

LOL your a funny bunny XD

on Feb. 9 2012 at 4:26 pm
yisliefbeinstoopid BRONZE, Windsor, Other
2 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
― Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

Yay Jess! Good reviews! (^o^) *digital high five*

on Feb. 8 2012 at 4:53 pm
SophiaWood GOLD, New City, New York
18 articles 0 photos 15 comments
Omg this is so sad. I love it

on Feb. 8 2012 at 8:26 am
TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes SILVER, Sunnyvale, Texas
8 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another,
"What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
- C. S. Lewis

T^T That was so sad! I thought it was a breakup the whole time, and then BAM! He was dying! D: I have to add this to my favorites!

on Feb. 7 2012 at 7:13 pm
C.K.Snow SILVER, Morden, Other
6 articles 10 photos 71 comments
Wow, this was really good! Personally, romance isn't my favourite, but I really enjoyed this story. Can you rate and comment on my work please?

on Feb. 7 2012 at 4:08 pm
Icillict PLATINUM, New Holland, Pennsylvania
35 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live
Laugh
Love <3

I have no more words, i would just like to say this is beautiful and very creative. I am so glad you submitted this, it really shows that it sint always about boys and girls. :) cheers to you!!

on Feb. 6 2012 at 8:42 pm
zadiekatie23 PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
39 articles 4 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

That was a real shocker - the whole time, I just thought it was a breakup. The suspense was perfect, you're drawn in by something you can relate to and then BAM! it really becomes a mystery. I really enjoyed reading that and I really enjoyed how you set it up. Thanks! :)

on Feb. 6 2012 at 8:02 pm
Donahue8 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 articles 1 photo 86 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only easy day was Yesterday" -U.S. Navy SEALs

Great piece! I thought it was a break-up at first so i like the twist in there. It's a little unoriginal though in terms of dialog, but still great writing. My only comment is try to avoid stereotypes and typical situations. If you really love the topic try to word it in a way no one else has before, but other than that I really enjoyed it. Still a 5/5 in my book.

on Feb. 6 2012 at 7:41 pm
billgamesh11 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 278 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's always darkest before the dawn." ~Florence and the Machine

Omg, this was just so good! I could feel everything Sam felt and I felt like I was Sam, even though that would be an unfortunate person to be :( But wow, this blew me away! Great Job and Keep Writing!!! :):):);)

on Feb. 5 2012 at 11:10 pm
NeverBroken BRONZE, Chesterfield, Virginia
2 articles 9 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
You have no idea what it's like being me, therefore you have no right to judge me

Aww, this was sad, how he wants her to forget him, at first I thought he was just breaking up with her, that probably would have been a better situation to be in, getting broken up with rather than having the person you love dying, but i guess having someone you love die is a better story, anyways I love this short story, it deserves to be put in the teenink mag.