One Sip, One life | Teen Ink

One Sip, One life

January 13, 2012
By koala_song BRONZE, Pitttsburgh, Pennsylvania
koala_song BRONZE, Pitttsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

“Drink it,” my friend Angeline urged mischievously.
I glanced down at the bottle of beer she shoved in my hand. My vows never to drink underage were about to be broken. Taking a deep breath, I tilted my head up and gulped down the electrifying drink. Excitement, power and freedom shot thro ugh me. It was like a switch was turned on. I wasn’t afraid of anything. One drink turned me into the free spirited teenager instead of the polite, good little school girl I’ve always been. Angeline grinned at me letting me know, I was in for an interesting night.


Multiple bottles into the party, I was totally hammered, growing crazier and wilder. Cheers surrounded me as I chugged another bottle down. I extended my arm out for anther bottle, but I was immediately flipped over something that felt awfully muscular. My boyfriend Bryce had flipped me over his shoulder as he navigated me through the party. He kicked open a door with ease as he pulled me off of him. The cold October air hit me like a jet plane. I swayed back and forth since I could not hold onto anyone for support. I started to collapse but right before my limp body hit the ground, Bryce grabbed me. He carried me the way a prince carries a princess. I felt like Bella from Twilight and Bryce was my Edward.


As he looked for his keys I slid down to the ground. Bryce chuckled softly as he saw my lying as a pathetic heap on the ground. He set me in the passenger seat and tried to buckle me in. I grabbed it from him and stubbornly muttered, “I can do it myself.” After countless tries, I finally managed to do it myself.


“Where are we going?” I screamed.


“We aren’t going anywhere,” he clarified, “I’m taking you home & putting you to bed.”

“WHAT?! C’mon Bryce, I’m 15 and it’s only 10:00!!!”

“It’s one o’clock Talia” he said slowly. “I think you’re seeing too many zeros on the clock.”


“No I’m not” I retorted.


“Whatever…I’m taking you home.”


“Why???!!!” I couldn’t believe him!


“Why? Because you’re too immature to realize 15 year olds don’t drink Talia!!! Not for at least 6 years! You’re not gonna act like that when we’re going out. I thought you’d know that!”


“You know what Bryce?”


“What?”


“I-I-I wish you would drop dead Bryce! My life was finally turning out to be fun and you just Had to come and ruin it huh?” I gathered my courage & jumped out the car door as I flung it open.


“TALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” his voice screaming my name echoed in the night. I must have scared him because the next thing I heard was a loud crash. My blood froze as I turned back. Bryce’s car was overturned and in flames underneath a fallen telephone pole. An unmoving body laid 15 feet away.


“Bryce,” I breathed. As fast as I could, I stumbled over to him. Tears gushed down my face as I kneed next to him.


“Bryce?” I whispered softly.


“Oh God, Oh God, Oh god!


“I-I-I love you,” he stammered, “I just tried t-t-to protect you.”
I bent down and kissed him tenderly. “I know baby, I’m so sorry.”His hand cupped my cheek. A second later, his hand fell, his kissing stopped and my Bryce gave himself up to haven. I laid down crying next to him in the middle of the road until help came.

10 years later…..




Today’s the tenth anniversary of Bryce’s death. It’s also my tenth anniversary of being sober. Every year I think the pain will go away, but it doesn’t. I could never love anyone as much as I loved Bryce. My apartment is filled with pictures of us together. My career is all about helping kids with drinking.Thank you Bryce. I couldn’t have more of an inspiration.

I love you.


The author's comments:
This is not true FYI