It's a love story. | Teen Ink

It's a love story.

By Alyssa Carter BRONZE, Gansevoort, New York
Alyssa Carter BRONZE, Gansevoort, New York

It was one of those sweet summer nights, the ones you could only imagine in romance novels. It was the moment you wished for when you were petit and believed you would find your prince charming one day. That magical moment when the shoe fits or when you go on a magical carpet ride across the sky. With him by my side I believed I was unstoppable, nothing in this life could go wrong, nothing could bring me down. I guess when you think that, you’re just asking for something to happen.
We were having dinner on the lakeside and everything was ideal. Damien was nothing far from perfect, every movement he made frightened me. I was head over heels in love and to my knowledge so was he? He turned his head and glanced at me, I was so in love with that boys smile.
He said, “Julie you look beautiful tonight”.
Butterflies pounded down on my stomach, my nerves went on a rampage and I couldn’t believe that this was being said to me. I choked on words and couldn’t think straight, my response to his compliment was to simply kiss him.
The moment when our lips touched was like getting struck by lightning. It was so overpowering and everything I ever imagined it would be. The feelings were so extraordinary; I couldn’t describe it any other way. He was everything I have ever wanted and everything I needed in my life.
We traveled back to my house, and at that moment the unspeakable was spoken.
He turned to me and stated “Julie, I love you and I will never stop loving you.”
My heart stopped, everything was perfect. I also informed him of my love for him, and in that moment everything was what I wanted it to be. He kissed me goodbye, but only to wait for our next kiss tomorrow. I watched him get into his car, oh boy how he was beautiful every little thing about him. I walked into my house and full of smiles, told my mom about my fairytale night.
While sitting on the couch, my mother and I heard a big bang and screams of bloody horror. We ran outside, faster than a cheetah could run chasing its prey and that’s when I saw the unthought-of.
My only true hope of love died that night. A drunk driver sped down the street and hit his car dead on. I could’ve have had him come in that night, introduce him to everyone in my family, but instead I just watched him go away forever. I could’ve warned him. But instead, I only walked inside, walked away from the love of my life forever.
The pain in my heart was rigorous and I didn’t understand why out of all people he had to go. He was the only one I could rely on, the only one that truly understood me. I believed no one could replace him, and to this day I still believe that. The love I had for him, the love he stated to me was not farfetched. The most perfect night of my life turned into the worst. My love was gone, and he would never come back.
This is where everything began, this is the reason why I am the way I am.
I walked into school, everyone knew me as the girl whose boyfriend died, the girl who watched him die. Everyone hated me for it; I completely isolated myself from society because I knew no one could love me like he did. He was the star football player I was just another face in the crowd of the high school bleachers. I was a nobody and this made me known, but for all the wrong reasons. No one knew about our relationship, it was one of those dirty little secrets you only see in movies. I had one best friend and that’s it. He was nobody also, but I guess you could say the same people attract each other. I never understood why Damien liked me. I was just another girl, but he toke my simple life and made it beautiful.

Every day I tried to cope with my feelings pretend that everything was going to be okay in this evil world. I tried therapy, but therapists don’t understand what you’re going through, they don’t experience the hurt in your body, which is slowing eating away at your insides. I feel as if half of my heart is torn off. Hearts aren’t able to grow back so I would much rather live with the remembrance of him then forgetting him. He gave me hope; he gave me a reason to be happy.
I traveled back to my house after six hours of living hell and went upstairs to my room. I looked on my dresser and there he was, everything that I had of his was right there in front of my eyes. I dropped down to my knees and everything being held inside unfolded. Tears drenched my parch skin. I pounded down on the floor, harder and harder with every strike. I turned my waist and struck the wall, bloody fists came then. The pain didn’t hit me; I just kept hitting and wishing that everything would end for me.
I heard footsteps come up the stairs, but that didn’t stop me. I wanted this person to see the pain I was going through, I wanted them to feel how I felt. The blood dispensed out of my knuckles, I could feel the pain I would experience later.
I opened my eyes when the door slowly creaked open. I glanced once and couldn’t believe my eyes. I double checked and there he was, there was the love of my life. I looked at him again, and my mind went blank. Was this really happening, was he here to stay?
He said, “I told you that I would love you for the rest of my life, did you think differently?”
I stared him in the eye and said, “I never thought differently, you just left without a word.”
I began to come closer to Damien, and the only thing I couldn’t feel was his heartbeat. I missed that pounding sound and I needed to get closer to feel it. As I began to get closer he started to fade away. I believed that he would soon be nothing; I didn’t want that, I didn’t need that.
I closed my eyes to check if this was reality. As I reopened my eyelids he was gone, gone like the wind. There wasn’t a term to describe my state of mind. Confusion and frustration hit me like a high speed train. If he could appear like that, is he really dead? What am I to think those words were the truth. I felt as if I was going into a state of imaginative things and he was just part of it. I believed that the blood was getting to my head, so I stood up and brought myself into the bathroom. When I arrived in the bathroom, something seemed strange, something was missing. I looked throughout the room and through the side of my eye I saw it. The necklace that Damien gave me when we first started dating was gone. Whoever was responsible for taking it will be dead. I mean it. I ran down the stairs and somehow lost my balance, I tumbled down the stairs and at the end I banged my head against of last step. I was knocked out cold.
“Julie, Julie, Julie wake up!”
I opened my eyes and observed sharp lights. I opened wider and there I was in place like looked like a hospital room. I was confused on how I got here and didn’t know what was going on. I glanced at the doorway and there was Damien. He came over to me and said, “Jules you had a really bad fall the other night and you have been knocked out cold since, I’m really happy that you are okay and finally with me”. I quickly concluded that only the best of us go to heaven.

Everybody writes about love, until it ends.