Another Love Story | Teen Ink

Another Love Story

By a_shton GOLD, Grand Prairie, Texas
a_shton GOLD, Grand Prairie, Texas

You've heard the story before. Girl likes boy. Boy likes girl. Said boy and girl get together. I guess to an extent you could say this is that story, but in a way, it's not. First, let me introduce myself. My name is Marina. I'm in love. Of course I am; for this to be a love story, someone has to be.I'm in love with Alex. I'm in love with Alex, who is here in there. In and out of this Podunk little town. I asked him if I could travel with him once, but he said, and I quote, "Maybe later, it's best for you to finish school. You deserve better than me." I would say,"Fine. Don't take me, but just be with me." He would say to me, "I'm in and out. You need someone steady. Steady as the beating drum. I'm so unpredictable. You deserve someone who can be there for you at all times. You might really need me, and I could be somewhere around the world. Only seeing you once or twice a month; if that." I would come up with the same response. "It's alright. If you just let me go with you, we'd be together. All the time. We'd be happy. If you would let me go with you, you wouldn't have to worry about being 'in and out'."

The conversation would just keep circling. I didn't mind. I loved his voice. When he was talking it would almost sound like singing the way his words flowed out confidently in a rhythm. His face was flawless. His eyes were a chocolate brown, his messy, dark brown hair usually hovered over his chocolate-brown eyes and his crooked smile made my heart flutter. He's 20. I'm 18. He wants me to finish high school and go off to college and live a regular life as a young adult. He didn't want me to "ruin" my life. He didn't consider what I want. Of course I want to finish high school. But college wasn't for everyone. I didn't suck at school. Actually, I was pretty smart. Clever, I guess. But I wanted to see the world. Right alongside Alex. I wanted to travel and experience. Learn new cultures and ways of life.

I would be graduating high school soon, as in, in two weeks. Alex promised he would be there. I hope he shows up, because I plan on forcing him to take me with him. My mother supports my decision to see the world. She is even going to let me use my college fund to go places. My mother is a famous designer. She understands that in this day and age, some people don't need to go to college to have a "good" job. Some people do just fine living. Her only conditions are to visit her at least once every three months and call her, at any time possible. She even likes Alex. She thinks he's the kindest boyfriend I've ever had, and I think it gives her some inner peace knowing that someone like Alex will travel with me, keeping me as safe as possible and making sure that I stay in one piece.

My phone rang in my pocket.

"Hello?" My voice rang clear.

"Hey," I heard Alex mumble.

A smile spread on my face. "Where are you?"

"I'm in Dallas, Texas and I plan on being back in Sandpoint tomorrow."

"Really? I wasn't expecting you until next week!"

"Call it a graduation gift," I heard his small chuckle.

"I've made up my mind."

"About?"

"What I'm doing after graduation."

"And what exactly is that," He asked cautiously.

"I'm coming with you and we're catching the first flight to New York."

"Marin--"

I cut him off before he could finish, "No, I don't want to hear your excuses. I'm coming and I don't want to talk anymore about it. I've talking it over with Mom and she's given me the OK. And I decided I wanted to travel the world before I met you. Either way, I would've went."

"So, this whole decision wasn't all about me? Oh, I'm a little hurt."

"Haha, no. I can't wait to see you tomorrow."

******************************************************************

"To the class of 2012!"

Everyone burst into cheers. My first thought was where's Alex? As soon as my eyes locked to his I pushed people put of my way and ran straight into his arms. I drew in closer to him and inhaled him. My lips suddenly crashed into his. His lips were soft, and his kiss was gentle and caring. I managed to pull myself away from him.

"You ready to go?" He asked.

"Always." I responded.

a_shton GOLD said...
on Dec. 19 2012 at 1:03 am
a_shton GOLD, Grand Prairie, Texas
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. 

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Great job!! I was a little bit confused at first, but then everything cleared up at the end. I really LOVED this story; you did a fantastic job with this piece. Great job.