The Art of Love

If love and hate were a painting on your wall, they’d be in my trash can. After all, they’re just emotions, and emotions are just color; love and hate are really only chalky, dull grays--and you might tell me they’re important, because without gray, there can’t be depth in a painting, but I wouldn’t believe you. Because of this: I made a choice this morning. Do you want to hear it? Should I say it out loud?

I’m done with emotions. I’m done with color. I’m done with you.

Can you even hear me? I’m yelling, but you’re not noticing. You’re focusing on that canvas; the blank one, that you’ve say you’ve been working on for weeks. But all you do is stare, the colors on your pallet in whole globs, untouched, cracked, dry.

If I had to write my life out on ledger lines, it’d be brown. Everything muddled together into one long sentence, but you wouldn’t be able to read it. No one would. Because my handwriting is no more than an inadequate scribble.

Your hand is moving towards the canvas now, but it holds no brush. Why can’t you hear me? Why won’t you look me in the eyes?

Blue, you once said, is the color of serenity. It can lull you into a dreamy state, can make you see things from a different point of view. Blue is the color of the sky, and of the water. Blue is the color of Forget-me-nots. Blue is the color of my eyes, so why don’t you gaze into them? You’re suppose to. It’s part of the whole romantic relationship. But are we really lovers? Just because you have “In relationship” posted on your Facebook status, does it mean that we’re “in love”? And what’s love, anyways? It’s certainly not you gazing at an empty picture, and me standing behind you, fading into the background, silently yelling, screaming, begging you notice me.

But now I’m getting off course.

My point is, I’m dumping you. I’m never coming back. You can find some other girl to make you happy. Maybe she’ll have empty eyes and no brain, so that you won’t have to worry about her feeling lonely, unloved. I’m sure you wouldn’t have to worry anyways; is there any room in that pinched noggin for thought outside of your work?

I’m walking away now. Goodbye. I won’t look back.

This is your last chance, kid. Your. Last. Chance.

Here I go. I’m stepping away from you. Do you hear my footsteps?

Fine. One more chance. I’m looking back, so hear me now, this is your last–

What are you doing? Your reaching into your bag...the one I made for you. I didn’t know you’d kept it; and even if I did, I wouldn’t recognize it; it’s stained with various colors. It use to be red. The so-called color of love-- and passion.

You’re holding a white tube of acrylic in your hand, you’re twisting the cap, the paint is spilling onto the pallet. I can’t see what color it is-- your broad shoulders are blocking the pallet from view. You still haven’t noticed me though, so what’s it matter?

I’m going. Goodbye. Farewell. Au revoir.

The sound of cars is growing louder. I’ll take a short cut down Mont street, and take the bus back home.

The seats of the bus are hard, with foam oozing out of the cracked plastic. I’ve gotten too use to the comfortable seat covers in your old beat up Honda. No matter. The hardness, the smells, they’re starting to bring me back: I’m starting to see reality.

You won’t be there for me when I wake up tomorrow morning. I’ll never taste your wonderful scrambled eggs, never see the pictures you’ll paint. It’s okay though. It’s a good thing. You’ve hurt me, and now I’m healing. I was in ICU there though, for a while.

Maybe the bus window is grimy. But I can’t help casting one last look at you, sitting out in your front yard, back to me. And I almost gasp, but there’s nothing I can do. I saw one flash, and that was enough to make me want to go back. But I can’t now; not now, because the bus has pulled away. I can’t see you anymore.

But I know.

You’re painting your canvas.

It’s my blue.

Traivole said...
I really like it. Definitely something different. If you want to give it more depth, maybe a flashback to a point where we can see they WERE in love? And, I don't know if this trully applies here but my Eng Teacher has pounded it into my head so I have to say it -- Show don't tell.

Iriss replied...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm :
Thank you! I do agree--a flashback might be a good idea--I'll have to see where I might write one in. Since it's a monologue, it shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks for the advice.

Traivole replied...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 11:02 pm :
No problem.