Let’s … This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Let's do something together,” you say.
“Like what?” I ask.

“Well,” you say, “let's sit and talk on the stone steps after church and laugh about everything and nothing at all. Let's have it be a pure accident. Opportune circumstances. And let's have it be beautiful.

“Let's get up regretfully and bid each other good-bye, with promises to talk again next week. Let's gaze wistfully after each other as we depart.

“Let's make it a habit throughout the summer to talk and laugh on the stone steps after church. Let's look forward to our weekly banter, and let's wonder what the other is thinking as we anticipate seeing each other again.

“Let's be sitting and talking together one Sunday, and let's both be slightly disappointed when I mention that I'm going to my cousin's wedding in Green Bay, and after that I'm spending two weeks in northern Minnesota at camp. Let's say we'll miss each other.

“Let's have a joyful reunion when I return and a long, heartfelt discussion on the church steps. Let's say honestly that we missed each other.

“Let's go slowly into the new school year, always remembering to have our hour on the church steps together. Let's sit out there even on the worst snowy days.

“Let's let time go by, a year or two, and in all that time let's not let our friendship fade. Even as you go to college and I go who-knows-where, let's remain friends.

“Let's keep in touch. Let's one day – even though I have a job by then – get together and hang out, maybe sitting on the stone steps of a church somewhere else. And let's talk for a while, but after another while, let's realize that neither of us feels like talking. So let's sit in silence.

“Then let's kiss. Let's make it beautiful and heartfelt and true. And let's know that we're in love.

“Let's be happy, secure in the knowledge that we were made for each other. Let's let time and life bring everything they've got, while we weather the storm together.

“Let's date. Let's be happy and funny and enjoy each other. Let's walk along beaches and city sidewalks and country roads holding hands. Let's laugh and tease and steal kisses and smile wide when we see each other. Let's be in love.

“Let's be together, some summer night, sitting perhaps on some stone steps, though maybe not of a church. Let's be sitting there, silent like we sometimes are, and then let's both know something special is about to happen.

“‘Let's get married,” I'll say. You'll agree. So let's.

“Let's get married in the church where we met, surrounded by everyone we love. Let's stand in front of the church and forget about everyone else while we promise our lives to each other.

“Let's live in a tiny cottage on the coast of northern Maine. Let's be young and happy and carefree. Let's just live, working a little and playing a lot, like young people tend to do.

“Let's have a crowd of beautiful children. Let's read to them and sing to them and teach them to be good people. Let's sneak into their rooms when they're asleep and marvel at how miraculous they are.

“Let's watch them grow up, survive their adolescence and our midlife crises, and come out the other side wishing they hadn't grown up so fast. Let's quietly live alone again in our northern Maine cottage, just us two, like it was before.

“Now,” you say, “let's come back to now. Let's hold hands. Let's pray that God and your cancer won't take you away from me too soon.”

“Even if they do,” I say, “you know where to find me.”

You smile. “Where?” you ask.

“Right with you,” I say. “Where I've always been.”

Your smile fades. “But you won't be,” you say sadly.

“Says who?” I ask, struggling to sit up in my hospital bed. “You once said, ‘Let's do life together.' So we are. Even if I'm not there the whole way, we are doing it together.”

You smile through tears that cloud your eyes. “Let's,” you say.

WishUponAStar said...
that was awesome. i loved it. thank you. :)

cheychey said...
that was great the ending kinda confused me though but keep up the work girl u were faboulous

BlueSunsetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:37 am:
Seriously, this was a great story. Really enjoyed it! Clever, emotional and so touching. I'd be lucky to be even half as good as you! Continue with the good work ;-)

Helena.of.Karatha This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful! And I know where you got that camp in northern Minnesota . . . But that was beautiful, especially the ending.

MandaLark This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is lovely. You're very talented! Keep it up :)

thecherrykas said...
Very beautiful and touching I love the ending it's sad but perfect! Keep doing what you do :)

LaviniaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow, this is literally perfect. VERY well written!

selenafan1 said...
Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:00 am:
I really love this story! It was really great and really sweet! Great job! Please look at some of my work!

GlassesGirl721 said...
Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:29 am:
Lovely and really heartfelt! Kee writing!

Ahhni replied...
Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:06 am :
This is absolutely incrediable! I'm so overjoyed with the outcome of your story. It reminds me of The Fault in our Stars. Very beautifully romantic but also heartfelt and deep. 

JonesychicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:02 pm:
this was soo amazing! keep writing! i absolutley loved it!!! your amazing at writing!

samiasaskia24 said...
Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm:
Gorgeous, sweet, emotional!

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm:
This is incredible! Never stop writting, your a natural!

Cuppie.Cake said...
Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm:
Oh my gosh this is so amazing! I ended up in tears at the end. I'm speechless. Great job.

mats... said...
Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:51 am:
it's truly awesome.......
btw i'm sorry to have my question here on this article but i'm a newcomer on teenink and facing a problem. how do we upload a pic and then submit our work.....i have a macbook and badly facing this problem repeatedly......so...sorry to ask here but i need help!!!!!

skyblue95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm:
Oh my gosh, this piece was so spectacular! You have an amazing writing style, very unusual but interesting (in a good way). The ending was definitely a surprise but it went along with the story perfectly, and it totally made me cry a little. Can you check out some of my work? Keep up the awesome writing!

irishlass317 said...
Jul. 27, 2012 at 3:25 pm:
This is soooo amazing!!!!! It took my breath away! It is soooo amazing! :-)

forgottenpenname This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:26 am:
The ending left tears in my eyes -- it's all so beautiful and perfect. Lovely piece. :)

lzcelloplayer said...
Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:59 am:
I really enjoyed reading that piece. It was so cute and beautiful. Keep up the good work! :D

AlwaysAbditive said...
Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:38 pm:
BEAUTIFUL! Nothing else can explain it. Please continue to write :)