Dear Dependent Boy | Teen Ink

Dear Dependent Boy

December 7, 2011
By Samantha Germano SILVER, New City, New York
Samantha Germano SILVER, New City, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Dependent Boy,

It finally feels like the right time to let out my feelings. Well, let me begin by saying thank you for doing what you’ve done because every mistake in life teaches me a lesson, and honey, you were one of those mistakes. Everyone told me not to be with you, and it was my fault for not listening to those wise people. I was blind to their advice and drawn into your trap. Now don’t get me wrong, I liked you for the right reasons, but little did I know what was to come.
It should have been a warning sign when we would get upset with each other over silly things or never hang out. If we were having problems beforehand, what did I think it was going to be like when we actually dated? What was I doing! I’m sure everyone can agree we all enjoy getting attention from someone we have an interest in. That’s exactly what happened; I was so caught up in finally finding you that all the complications were oblivious to me.
Lesson to be learned: not every relationship you have is going to be like the ones in the movies. Being in a relationship is like having a second job. You have to make sure you answer or return their calls, buy them gifts, praise them, and make sure your friends and family like them. Now don’t think I’m anti-relationships because of you. Don’t think you’re that special. You definitely gave me help for the future in what I need to look for.
Her. You left me for her. Oh, don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine. Really, go on, have fun. I mean come on, did it ever occur to you how I felt? I mean, I understand that you had feelings for her, but at least tell me. Don’t lie to my face. You have no idea what it’s like to feel stranded, and having to pretend that you don’t care or don’t mind being hurt at all.
There is one difference, though. I’m not begging for you back. In fact, I want nothing to do with you. I don’t want to be your arm candy, your force of gravity, or your back up. I’m no one’s second choice.
I now have more trust issues; I now have to wait twice as long before opening up to someone that I thought cared about me; I now have an empty feeling that I need to live with. But I will be able to come back stronger, I will be able to be more independent, and I will not let you get to me.
Right now I feel as though high school relationships are stupid because the one that I thought would last forever was taken away from me. What’s the point in finding a better relationship when I believed the perfect one was right in front of me?
Don’t worry, you will never be forgotten. You were a lesson to look back on. But don’t come back looking for me, because I won’t be there.
From,
Independent Girl