Under the Maple Tree | Teen Ink

Under the Maple Tree

By greyylove13 BRONZE, Hendersonville, Tennessee
greyylove13 BRONZE, Hendersonville, Tennessee

“If there ever comes a day when we can't be together keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever”
Winnie the Pooh

His heart is beating like a kick drum. Da dum, da dum, da dum. The euphoria of his adrenaline makes his knees go weak and his focus is ever so slightly askew. Wait, what has she just said? Something about her boss… or maybe her new shoes she bought yesterday.

“I need to get it together! What’s the worst thing that could happen, eh?” he thinks to himself. “Oh, right. She could say no.” Sweat drips from his brow, even though it is the middle of December. The shiny ring in the little box tucked away in his pocket feels like a boulder. He manages to force a small chuckle at what she has just said, if he could only focus to hear what it actually was. He hasn’t been so nervous to ask her anything since Home Coming of their year. That’s when he knew he loved her. He remembered that night like it had just happened. He remembered the first time he ever saw her, their first date, and their first kiss under an old maple tree. He loves her for her sparkling brown eyes that shined brighter than the ring in his pocket when she was telling him a funny story about her day that she couldn’t wait to share. He loves her for the days she forgets to wear makeup. He loves her for her smile. He loves her for her laugh. That very same laugh snaps him back into reality. He inhales slowly before stopping to get down on one knee under the same maple tree they shared their first kiss.

“Lucy,” he finally musters up the courage to say, “Will you marry me?”

One of the many reasons I count my blessings everyday because I am not a male.