Who Am I? | Teen Ink

Who Am I?

December 8, 2011
By NaiNelson PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington
NaiNelson PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington
36 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Change in life is never easy, but you have to learn to deal with it because life doesn't slow down for stragglers.


I am a loner. The girl you see right through everyday you walk down the hall. I slump against my locker, nose in a book, messenger bag falling off my shoulder. I look up just before you pass me, hoping you'll meet my gaze. But you move on without a single glance, even though you're just as much of a nobody as me. No nod. No smile. But my silent tears will haunt you.

I am a genius. The boy who shuts himself up in his room everyday to study. I crack math problems scientists could only dream of even being to understand. With glasses too big for my small, boyish frame, and jeans my mother picked out for me two years ago, you don't give me a second glance. I'll say hello to you everyday at school, try and be nice-- maybe then you'll like me. But you roll your eyes, flip your hair, flash a perfect smile and turn away. Maybe, maybe someday.

I am a popular. The girl everyone looks at when she passes them in the hall. The girls are always jealous, and with the guys it's always a hungry look in their eyes. I side-step the nerds, the freaks and the geeks and only give the time of day to the athletic guys who have some serious muscle. I smile and flip my curls and everyone loves me. But they love someone that's not real. I'm a different person at night. I'm not perfect, and I hate the person I am in the light. When I'm home in my room all alone, I shut off all the lights, kneel down at my toilet, and spill my guts. To be honest, I don't know why they love me. I'm a fake.

I am a person. I am a human being. I am someone to love. I need someone to understand. I need you to NOT see through me. To that girl with her nose in a book, just go up to the nerdy guy with the huge glasses and talk to him. To that nerdy guy crushing on the Barbie Doll chick, forget her, she's not as perfect as she seems. To that popular chick with no self esteem, get help, find someone who will love you for you, and no one else.