I hate jazz | Teen Ink

I hate jazz

By pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

It's okay to daydream.. just as long as you get to do some of those daydreams.

I hate jazz. Everybody hates at least one thing. For me that’s jazz. Still is, the only difference between now and then is her. I’m sitting in this coffee shop, it’s Saturday afternoon and it’s raining. I look up from my coffee and notice this girl walking in through the doorway. She’s shaking the rain off her hair, and smiling even though it’s raining cats and dogs outside. She goes up to the counter, orders some coffee, and stands there. I keep thinking she’s waiting for a group of friends to pick her up. She didn’t look like the quiet loner type. When I realized that she wasn’t waiting for anyone, she just couldn’t find a place to sit. She was looking around the coffee shop looking for an empty seat, and she looked straight at me and smiled. She grabbed her cup of coffee from the counter, paid for it, and started heading my way. I didn’t even notice her coming until she said: “Can I seat here?” I couldn’t believe that a girl as beautiful as her would even associate with me. I kept waiting for her to look at the doorway and get up to meet her friends. Instead she just started talking to me. The first thing she said was that she loved the kind of day today was. That a rainy day sitting inside a warm coffee shop was one of her favorite things to do. Unbelievably, this beautiful girl and I had a few things in common. I kept trying to think of clever things to say to her, when she started laughing. I was just thinking I’d blown it when she smiled and told me to relax. She didn’t look at me as if I was crazy; she just looked at me as if she wanted to get to know me. So we just continued talking, and all the while I was just blown away by this girl. She could probably get any guy she wanted, and she was talking to me.
I was about to try to make a joke about me being not able to relax, when she asked: “What are you staring at? Is there something on my face?” And that’s when I laughed, and said: “Now who’s the one who needs to relax?” She instantly smiled, and from there I just loosened up. We ended up talking for over an hour about anything and everything. As we both finished our coffee I realized that I just wanted to keep on getting to know this girl, and find out what she was all about. So I asked her out, and she said yes. We’ve been going out for over a year now. I’ve found out that she loves jazz more than almost anything in the world. So I decided to give jazz a second try.

natty5 BRONZE said...
natty5 BRONZE, West Dundee, Illinois
This is such a cute story! Great writing!

Athena19 SILVER, Central Point, Oregon

'Love people. Cook them tasty food.' -Penzey's Spices

what a fun read! I like the description, and the full circle ending! great job!