Too Close This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

They were on the couch, him and her. Watching reruns of old TV shows and sitting the appropriate distance that girls and boys sit when they're not really dating – but undeniably share the same desire to release the tension and partake in a passionate exchange of facial activity with a romantic chorus swooning in the background.

You know, that distance.

Squashed on opposite ends of the coach, hands clasped tightly in their laps, eyes determinedly fixed on the screen in front of them, and each acting as if there was a man-eating lion between them.

And yet they were still too close. Why else could the girl, if she wanted to, turn her head slightly to the left and see the sweeping contours of his jaw line? The aristocratic slope of his nose? The individual splatters of freckles on said nose? And, if she looked hard enough, the soft brown hair at the nape of his neck; fuzzy and wispy at first, then growing increasingly more curly until it reached the ringlets that fell into his eyes, radiating blue from the television screen in front of him.

The girl felt a flush creeping onto her cheeks. Her eyes flickered back, forcing laughter at the joke on screen. Don't look at him again, she told herself sharply. Don't look, don't look. But her eyes disobeyed her, moving to the boy as if of their own volition.

Furtively, she surveyed the flecks of color in his eyes – eyes that were most certainly looking back at her.

She pushed herself farther into the arm of the couch. Much too close.

Wanderlust. said...
today at 9:00 pm:
your style is so cute and simplistic, yet still so detailed. it's great!

AdrianaMartinezThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:55 pm:
Great story, also very relatable. A lot of girls have gone through this at least once in their life. The description could not have been any more realistic. I could feel her gaze on him, and the rush you feel when you see that special someone. I liked this story a whole lot, I could really connect with it and vision it in my mind. Great job.

CountryMusic said...
This is so accurate, you must be an amazingly observant person (not to mention talented) congrats on being published in the print magazine! :D

Artgirl1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Great job! I love the descriptive words and the realness of it all. It was amazing.

lamismaestrella This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:06 pm :
I'm so glad you liked it, Artgirl! Thank you! (:

directioner173 said...
Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:59 am:
i feel the same way sometimes!

musicluvr3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow I have goosebumps now! I loved this so much!

LyriceMusicNote said...
That was like seriously well-wrtten :) 

SugarLoxez said...
Wow! This was good!

JuliaRubyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:14 am:
i love this. well done!

SilverSunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm:
I so cute!!!!! I love the whole "that distance" stuff. I really liked your piece! Could u check of mine? Faceless Friend?

EmmyCherry said...
May 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm:

I read this in the magazine and instantly thought, Wow! This totally describes my life! It was surprising to find a poem that had every detail that matched! "Watching old reruns", "on the couch"...so relatable!

Great job! I especially like the line: "You know, that distance". I can't get it out of my head :). (That's a good thing :)

morghanhagan said...
 I really liked it.... are you going to write more???

AccioPencil This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:16 pm :
It's quite possible. I've been considering a whole series of these little snippets, as their quick and fun to write. (: Thanks for reading!

amandaxloren said...
Really good.

Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm :
Thank you, amandaxloren! Glad you liked it!

ashley112027 said...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:08 am:
I loved it!! I have had that exact feeling before.... <3!!!

Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm :
Awh, that's great that you could relate, Ashley! Hopefully, unlike the two characters, you had the guts to act on those feelings! xD Glad you liked it!

ashley112027 replied...
Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm :
Yeah... The boy I was sitting with likes me and I like his older brother sooo.... His older brother was sitting on the couch across the room from me so it was kinda akward... I love your writing though... You should keep up the good work

Eggie94This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was really cute! You captured "that distance" perfectly! Great Job:)