Hostess | Teen Ink

Hostess

“Hello how may I help you?” I smiled repeating the line my boss said was ‘an acceptable greeting’. I looked up at the guy who had just strolled confidently into the restaurant. His black hair was tossed messily around his face. He looked only a few years older than me, but somehow he seemed different.
“I’m going to need a table for two.” His smile made me want to melt and his light green eyes twinkled with mischief. I cursed under my breath and grabbed two menus off of the hostess stand. I shouldn’t be thinking about this guy’s warm smile. He’s probably meeting up with his girlfriend.
“Right this way.” I plastered on my usual friendly expression and led him to a small table in the back. “You waitress will be right out.” I spun on my heel to walk back to the hostess stand. Hopefully he didn’t see my irritation.
“Wait, where are you going?” The boy grinned. I turned around to look at him.
“I’m going back to work.” I said in a clipped tone. Was it even possible to be jealous over someone you’ve never met? I glanced at the empty chair across the table from him. Yep, defiantly possible.
“When do you get a break?”
I glanced down at my watch. I was scheduled to take my lunch break an hour ago. The rest of the staff joked about me being a workaholic.
“Whenever I want I guess, why?”
His smile grew wider. He gestured to the seat across from him.
“I’ve been trying to work up the nerve to ask you since I walked in the door. I was hoping you’d accompany me.”
I couldn’t help smiling back at him now.
“My name’s Clare—but you probably knew that.” I laughed embarrassed, remembering the bright name tag on my shirt. Nice one.
“Nice to meet you Clare, my name’s Zack, sadly I haven’t gotten a name tag yet. But what do you say about joining me?” he laughed but waited for my answer.
“No.”
“Oh. Well I’m sure you have work—“ I stopped him.
“I want to go to lunch with you, but I don’t want to eat here. I have a better place in mind. Wait here I’ll be right back.” I headed off for the kitchen.

AmyMichie GOLD said...
AmyMichie GOLD, Saint Johnsville, New York

Live in the now. <3

I love it and would like to know what happens next