His eyes | Teen Ink

His eyes

By Emmazing GOLD, Alexandria, Virginia
Emmazing GOLD, Alexandria, Virginia

I'm simply complicated.

His stare bores into me, but I stare at the floor. "Look me in the eyes." He says, easier said then done. I try again, letting my gaze fall onto his perfect face, moving from his ski slope nose, to his tantalizing lips and finally resting on his eyes. My heart jolts, and immediately there's a pang in my stomach, and a lump in my throat, I look away. "Come on," he says, softly. "why is it so hard for you to look at me?" I struggle to find my words, but he waits patiently. I will myself to look at him again, just for a second, and a second is all it takes for me to relapse back into oblivion. "Well," I stammered, still neglecting to look up from the dusty floor. "I don't know…I can't explain it." I breathed. "Please try…for me?" He whispered so softly it took me a second to realize what he had said. "They're really pretty…" I began, hesitantly. "When I look at you I get butterflies in my stomach. There's something about you that makes it hard to breath, and when I look at you I forget my words." I lifted my head slowly, letting a beat of silence linger between us before continuing. "When I look at you…" I trailed off loosing my confidence. "When you look at me…?" He inquired, lifting my chin tentatively and letting his gaze fall onto my starstruck blue eyes. "When I look at you…I love you." I said faintly. Surprise danced across the lines of his face, and I looked away, embarrassed. "Hey," He said, taking a step towards me. "will you please look at me?" My knees threatened to buckle, and my heart pounded so hard I swear he could hear it, but I commanded my eyes to meet his. "I love you" He said softly, his gaze pouring over me. "I…I love you too." I said, smiling shyly up at him. He pulled me into a hug, a little apprehensively at first, but soon I felt his arms wrap around me tightly. I closed my eyes and leaned against his sturdy frame. His shirt was warm against my cheek, and I could feel his chest rise and fall with every breath he took, it felt safe being in his arms. He kissed my head lightly, and held me close for what seemed like an eternity. When we pulled away his smell lingered in the air around me, and I could feel an empty space where he had been just seconds before. "I love you" He said again, with conviction, smiling down at me. "I love you too." I said thoughtfully, feeling his hand close around mine. "I can't believe you were scared to look me in the eyes." He said, jokingly. I began to reply, but my words disappeared, lost in every crack and crevice of his stormy blue eyes. Yet as I searched for something, anything to say, I realized I didn't need to, I knew in that moment, holding his gaze, I'd said everything without saying anything at all.

A special thanks to the inspiration behind this piece :)