Yet Another Broken Heart | Teen Ink

Yet Another Broken Heart

October 16, 2011
By S.B.Willie SILVER, Glen Rock, New Jersey
S.B.Willie SILVER, Glen Rock, New Jersey
8 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"If music be the fruit of love, play on."-William Shakespeare


Her hair was soft as silk, her skin was smooth as butter, and her eyes sparkled like an evening star. She was the girl of my dreams. The girl I had loved since 3rd grade, but had never had the nerve to ask out on a date. This was my time. It taken me all day, but I had finally worked up the courage to ask her out. The moment was just seconds away. I was going over the two possible scenarios in my head.
Scenario #1:
Me-“Hey Claire! Listen, I was wondering if maybe you would want to go on a date with me sometime. Maybe go see a movie or something?”
Her-“Sure Charlie, I’d love to!”

Scenario #2:
Me-“Hey Claire! Listen, I was wondering if maybe you would want to go on a date with me sometime. Maybe go see a movie or something?”
Claire-Wow, hey I’m really sorry Charlie, but I think of you as just a friend.”

That same phrase kept repeating in my head. Just a friend. Just a friend. Oh, how I hated that phrase! That phrase had been repeated back to me every time I had asked a girl out, but not this time. There was no way I was going to fail this time, not in front of Claire. I can’t look like a fool in front of Claire.

She was almost here. I was getting really nervous now. I reached my arms up to my head and shaped my hair, making sure I was perfect as my soon-to-be-girlfriend approached me.

“Hey Charlie, what’s up?” Claire yelled from across the street.
“Not much.” I said walking across to her. “Hey, uh, there’s something I’ve been meaning to talk to you abou-“
That’s when it hit me, literally.
At that very moment a Fed-Ex truck rammed its self into my left side sending me flying down the street. It didn’t stop or anything. It kept on going and ran me over. It all happened so fast.

“Charlie! Are you okay?”
“Claire. I…I…love…lov…yo…”


As I started to drift into the clutches of death, my last thought was:

Cr**. I can’t believe my last words were “I…I…lov…love…yo…” I was hoping for something just a little bit more creative.


The author's comments:
This is a short story about a boy who really likes this girl but he thinks that she will never like him back. He finally gets the nerve to ask her out, but it goes terribly wrong… I got the idea for this short story when I felt like if I tried to ask out the girl that I liked that something terrible would happen to me.