Wherever You Are

The grass was uncomfortably soggy on my feet and between my toes. It didn’t help that I was wriggling them around like a little kid with ADHD. I took a deep breath of the humid air and looked up at Kevin. “This is it.”

He nodded. “Yeah. This is it.”

I cleared my throat and stared down at his hands, my fingers itching to lace themselves within his. “I’ll miss you.”

Emotionally detached as always, he just nodded again. “I know.”

I pushed the picture frame I’d been holding onto in his hands. “Here you go. I asked you to come over so I could give you think. So you wouldn’t forget me.”

He blinked and took the frame, my skin burning from where hand brushed against my wrist. After studying it for a moment, a smile graced his features. “The picture from first grade.”

“Crazy to think we’ve been friends for that long, huh?”

A thoughtful hum was my only reply. He peered at me through his lashes. “I’d better get going.”

Before I could stop myself, I slid my arms around his waist and kissed him. It wasn’t a nice, gentle kiss; it was rough tooth-clattering kiss that had me in the correct stance in case he pushed me away, so I could bolt across my lawn and back into the house.

But he didn’t. He held my shoulders and leaned into it, reciprocating.

I could’ve stayed like that forever.

I pulled away. “Sorry, I just-”

“Don’t be sorry.” He smirked. “I’m gonna go now, Brooke.”

“I’ll miss you,” I said miserably, tears blurring my vision.

He sighed and walked to his car. “You know, I’m only going to be gone for the summer.”

“But that’s forever!” I cried.

“Drama queen.” I sniffled and he smiled at me from over the roof of his car. “I’ll miss you too.”

FangPoet said...
Aww i really liked that,mainly that reminds me of my best friend and I. Hmm a little more detail would be nice,but it was a nice piece.