The Ending

The rain pours down on my car as I speed down the winding road, growing closer to you. My stereo is turned on loud, trying to drown all my thoughts. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest and my hands growing sweaty. I tell myself to calm down; that everything is going to be okay. I look in my passenger seat and see the handwritten note I intend to give to you, explaining the reason I was giving up on us.

I can’t suppress my feelings anymore when the tears start streaming down my face. I pull over on the side of the road, take a few deep breaths, and tell myself this is for the best. As I sit on the side of the two-lane dirt road, I think back to the beginning and wonder, “How did it all come down to this?”

The first time you said hey to me in the hallway, I got butterflies in my stomach. On our first date when you kissed me, nothing else mattered. The first time you said I love you, I knew what we had was real. You made me weak at the knees and more in love than a sixteen-year old girl should ever be in. But, if all that had been true, then how was it so easy to walk away?

All senior year I dreaded the day I left for college. You were staying behind, not caring about an education. An underpaid job and living at home was all you wanted, but for me I wanted more. I wanted out of the small town and into a place with opportunities for my future, our future. I heard you complain, try to make me stay, make fun of the place I would call my home, why couldn’t you just be happy for me?

My tears have stopped falling; I’ve gathered my courage once again. I put the car in drive and pull back on to the dirt road. Only two more miles to go, and this will all over. The rain starts picking up, faster and faster. I can barely see the road; I can barely see the what’s coming towards me.

Out of nowhere, a truck comes flying down the road. All I can see are the two headlights coming straight for my tiny car. There’s nowhere for me to escape to, nothing that I can do. I hear the breaking of metal and screeching of tired, and then everything goes black.

Neither one of us got our happy ending that day, the letter I wrote got lost in the debris of the wreck never to be found again. You buried me never knowing our love had run out.

DaughterofEvil said...
I was expecting a tragic ending such as that to come. To be honest, the narrator didn't leave that much of an emotional impact on me. However, your sentence structure and grammar were correct. Plus, I was interested in what would happen to your character. I'll give this piece a 3 out of 5. I also asked for emails when you contribute work. Happy writing!

CJK0298 said...
Really Good!!!!!! I enjoyed every word. Well done! :)

rubyrose1 replied...
Thanks so much!!!

CarrieAnn13 said...
Wow!  This was short, sweet and very interesting.  I love how the main character realizes she's not really in love.  The ending is very good too.  Excellent work! :)

rubyrose1 said...
If you read this please rate or comment on it, its my first post on this website that I feel good about:) Thanks!

Eveine replied...

I love it!!! It's breathtaking