Ending to The Lady or The Tiger | Teen Ink

Ending to The Lady or The Tiger

September 15, 2011
By Ashley Snyder BRONZE, Great Neck, New York
Ashley Snyder BRONZE, Great Neck, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As the Princess chooses which door, she can’t help but think “what if?” The question wobbles through her head for about 20 minutes, no, the King would never accept you being with him. She painfully walks towards the podium slowly dreading the decision she’s about to make. She can’t help but hate on herself as she’s oblivious to what’s about to be done. She’s battling between selfish and selfless. Should she let the love of her life marry on to someone she has great hatred for, which means life long misery on her part? Or take on that selfish side of hers and save all the jealousy and misery and have him step into the door of death. She started stepping to the doors with firm, rapid steps and was sorry to see him have to go this way. Her selfish side has taken over her body and thought’s, there was no way of going back now. As he lunged for the knob, every heart had stopped beating, every breath was held, and all eyes were on him. Hoping that he had faith in her and knew fate would take its place, as he would open that door. In a flash…he was gone. Tears ran down her cheek as she couldn’t look anymore, her breathing became heavier and she then stopped breathing. As she had to sit and down and catch her breath, she had started to think what had just been done. Going through her thoughts she had realized, he’s not coming back. As she proceeded to walk back to her room with her head down, somebody had coughed; she hadn’t noticed she was in presence with someone else. She gazed up and quickly knew she had to put herself back together for her father’s eyes and briskly concealed her emotions briefly. As her father started conversation she stared at him with hatred and disbelief they were actually related. Feeling this, she rapidly sped down the hall without any words spoken. She approached her room, in a flash her doorknob was locked and she was lying down on her bed. She had reached for a blue little case in her dresser drawer, opening it slowly. She longingly stared at the shining metal, daggered tip and could see her reflection; she was disgusted in how heartless she had been. She thought right before, ““What need I fear of thee? But yet I'll make assurance double sure, and take a bond of fate: thou shalt not live; That I may tell pale-hearted fear it lies, And sleep in spite of thunder-(Shakespeare)” as she plunges it through her heart.


The author's comments:
My English Teacher assigned this and it felt very personal to me and i just had the passion to write a love story. Shakespeare actually inspired me for this ending, i love his writing and all of his work.