Honesty Is The Best Policy | Teen Ink

Honesty Is The Best Policy

August 11, 2011
By jessicanne SILVER, Scarborough, Other
jessicanne SILVER, Scarborough, Other
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In retrospect, this probably wasn't a good idea.
And yet Sophia found herself pulled to do it. She'd only been talking to Cameron for a few weeks, but she knew she was in love with hI'm. And at the moment she sent hI'm that first text, she thought he felt the same way.
Cameron had never been like the other guys, while Sophia usually liked complete jack*sses, Cameron had been sweet and nice. Teasing in his own way, but still sweet. And that was one of the reasons she had fallen for hI'm.
When they had started talking, it was usually about music. But after a while, Cameron had started asking her harder questions, questions that had Sophia confused and flustered. Something that usually happened when Cameron was around.
There was a problem of course, Sophia couldn't talk to Cameron outside of their Facebook messages. Why? She got nervous and started making a fool of herself. So one day, after completely ignoring Cameron all day, Sophia decided to apologize via text message.
"Its a matter of how much of a chicken I am every tI'me I see you. And then I talk to you for a while, where I don't get scared of you. And i feel like such a d*ck because I do that. And i don't even know why the heck I do it"
She had thought that would be enough, and that Cameron would understand and prove her wrong, and make it all better. Instead of course, he say the real reason she was pouring her heart out to hI'm.
"Wait, Are you trying to tell me that you like me?"
She hadn't been ready for that message. And just with her friends, and her music, Sophia thought about it. At tI'mes it seemed that Cameron liked her back, but she could never be sure. Remembering one of her favourite quotes 'Honesty is the best policy' Sophia dove right in. Explaining her feelings for hI'm, and after a few last glances, Sophia sent the d*mned text message.
The reply took a few minutes, and the wait was excruciating. What if he didn't like her back? What if he hated her? What if-
The phone in her hand buzzed, and Sophia took a deep breath and opened it.
"Just to let you know, and not to be mean, but I'm just not ready for any type of relationship right now, I'm too busy with school and my band. I'm sorry though. I'm not saying i don't like you; but i just want you as a friend."
Sophia could feel her eyes watering, and felt as if she was going to die. Her heart was racing and she could practically hear it break. He didn't like her.
And he never will.

The author's comments:
This is based of a real life experience.