Someone Like You | Teen Ink

Someone Like You

By MusicLoveLife BRONZE, Nanuet, New York
MusicLoveLife BRONZE, Nanuet, New York

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond belief.

“Wait”
He stopped and looked at me.
“I still want you…I still need you.”
He chuckled. “You should’ve thought of that before.”
With that he walked away into the sunset like some stupid cliché cowboy from some old time Western. God, I hated him so much at that moment. With his strong but lean body and his caramel skin turned bronze from days out in the sun during Spring Track. And his hair, oh his hair had those Clark Kent curls. They were super soft and dark and framed his chiseled features. His eyes, those beautiful brown eyes. They were like pools of chocolate swirled with caramel. How did I get myself into this? I suddenly thought. Ugh of course it all started in January.

We had begun rehearsing for the Spring Musical at school. He had signed up for crew. I hadn’t paid much attention to him until I started to feel eyes watching me as I stretched out for the major dance numbers. I turned around to find his eyes curiously watching as I did splits and stretches. Honestly, I was quite used to this. I went to a co-ed hip hop class on the weekends and stretching usually lead to this. I ignored him and kept going. When the dance sequences became more intense and I stripped my heavy wool cardigan I felt those eyes again. Turning slowly I saw his eyes on me again. I sent him a glare meant to burn the living daylights out of him but all he did was smirk and continue painting some prop. It went on and on like this until March.

By then I had found out his name Toni. Short for Antone Riviere. He was in a committed relationship with Antoinella Divine. They were constantly together backstage, mainly sucking face like there was no tomorrow. One day I was trying on my costume to get it fitted. It was a cute little French maid’s dress. In my opinion it was inappropriate for a school production but hey I didn’t make the wardrobe choices. As I was walking toward the director I bumped into what felt like a piece of meat from a slaughterhouse. I was just about ready to release a string of words unheard of in the English language when I looked up and there he was. Smug little grin, hair falling around his face, and good gracious that body suddenly very close to me. He spoke “Mm if this is what your wearing the night of the show I’m gonna have to bump into you more often.” Suddenly I was very aware of his hands slowly making their way toward the small of my back. I pulled away and gave him my patent Glare of Doom. He just winked and walked away. I was all to aware of his eyes behind me watching as I half walked half jogged to the costume designer and director.

Opening night I was so nervous that I started pacing. I suddenly stopped and closed my eyes, feeling faintly ill. Out of nowhere came strong warm hands slowly kneading the taught flesh in my back. I stiffened and turned. There he was watching me as always. His hands slid down to my waist. I was very conscious of my short skirt. The corset didn’t help either, pushing my chest up so that it almost spilled out of the top. He smiled in satisfaction. This little perv! I was so creeped out all I could do was back away but he held me closer. “Wow, you’re even prettier up close” He said
“Flattery will get you nowhere. Now let me go” I hissed.
“What if I don’t want to? What if all I want to do is shower you with kisses and bury my face in your hair?”
“That is not my problem. Let go!”
He released me but not before tracing a finger along my jaw line. The action sent a shiver through my spine. “Hmm you like that. I’ll remember for next time.” I shuddered at the thought and watched as he sauntered away. It was frustrating how much he had started to affect me.

Finally, the play ended but I had endless hours of homework to make up. I headed to the library and collapsed at a table. I studied for a good fifteen minutes before I was distracted by the sound of a whistle. I looked out the window to see the boys Spring Track team. I had forgotten how fast the months had flown by with the play and such. I looked a little closer and noticed a familiar flop of hair. Suddenly, I saw Toni look up and give a little smile. A whistle was blown and he sprinted off. Wow, he’s so fast.

For the next few weeks all I could think about was him. I saw him everywhere. It was like he was stalking me only…I liked it. One day he finally caught up to me. I was at a coffee shop in the city square. I started at the blackboard above the register trying to figure out what to order when I felt a hand around my waist.“ You can’t avoid me for much longer” he whispered. He walked toward a table close to the window and sat down. I ordered my tea and went to sit down. For a long time he just stared at me.
“Why have you been following me?” I asked. My voice faltering when I saw the look on his face. His eyes were blazing into me. I felt self conscious and very open. It was almost as if he saw right into my soul. My breathing hitched.
“Why have you been watching me?” He countered. His voice was deep and rumbling sending shivers through me. I realized I was blushing and felt warm and fuzzy. Ohhh no. No no no

I cleared my throat. “I…uhm…I have to go.”
“Non, no you don’t. You feel uncomfortable. Vulnerable”. His eyes pierced mine once more. He stood slowly and walked closer to me. He pushed my unruly curls from my face and lifted my chin “Stop running from me” he whispered. His breath warmed my face and I felt my heart lurch. He bent and gave me lightest of kisses. It took me a moment to realize he was gone. By the time I did he had already left.

Life went on. I had hoped to get closer to Toni as the school year ended but I couldn’t. It was like he had disappeared. I didn’t see him again until the middle of summer.

My parents had decided to take us to the lake near our house. I was looking forward to finally having some sand and sun. It was a beautiful sunny day and I was ready for fun. As we found a spot on the beach I felt like someone was watching me. I didn’t think much of it. I mean I shaped fairly well and I always got the once over because my parents were mixed and I looked…different. My mane of unruly curls, which I had cut, fell close to my face. My eyes were brown and almond shaped, pug nose, china doll lips, and skin like melted dark chocolate. I got plenty of looks. I turned slowly and tried to look nonchalant. On my second rotation I see Toni. Whoa I never noticed before but he had a magnificent body. His hair was spiky and dark, his skin looked like caramel, his smile, his pecs, his abs, his everything. I practically fainted right there. He saw me, gave a wink, and retreated to a little shack. It took me a minute to realize he was a lifeguard. I walked down to the water and wet my feet. The day had really started to heat up. I was taking in the sounds and the feeling of the water when I was lifted up and thrown in. I came up sputtering to find Toni there in front of me. He gave me a smirk and began to swim away. I caught his ankle and pulled him back but before I could do anything he grabbed me and lifted me up.
“You look gorgeous.” He whispered.
“Thank you”
He bent and delivered soft butterfly kisses all over my face.
“Go out with me. Be my girlfriend. Be mine. Only mine.” He begged still delivering kisses.
“Only if you kiss m-” but before I finished my sentence he gave me a long slow kiss that melted my insides and made me dizzy. He put me down and took my hand. I suddenly felt very very content. That was in July. By January things had started to change.

By January Toni had met my family but I hadn’t met his. I begged and pleaded with him but he always said no. I began to wonder what was so bad. Once I started asking that he became distant. He stopped talking to me as much and gave one word answers when he did. He threw himself into his school work and started training for track again. I was lonely and hurt. I began to think that he didn’t care about me. He never actually liked me. I began to psych myself out. I hurt, he hurt, and we never talked. Things became bad. We stopped seeing each other. I thought it was as bad as it could get until I got a call one night in March. It was late. I was up studying when my phone rang. The number was blocked but I picked it up anyway.
“You want to know why I n-n-never brought you to…my house? My parents are drunks (hiccup) and hardly ever home. The pl-l-lace is a mess. I didn’t want the pretty princess around that” It was Toni and he was drunk beyond belief. I was stunned. Not by the information but at the fact that he was drunk. He never drank.
“Babe are you okay? Where are you?” I asked.
“Oh now you care. You always thought you were better than me. I know you did. You think you’re all high and mighty. Well lemme tellyousomething…miss pretty princess. It’s not. About. You.” With that said he hung up. I cried myself to sleep wishing I could’ve helped him.
The next day I found him at the coffee shop. He looked half dead and he had to blink twice before recognizing me. He groaned as realization dawned on him.
“Can we talk?” I asked.
He grunted and I lead the way to a table in the back of the shop.
“About last night-“
“Forget it.” I cut him off. “First of all, are you okay? You look horrible. What happened?”
He went on to explain to me how he was so upset that he drunk himself into a stupor. He then called numerous people and trashed talked most of them. He begged for my forgiveness.
“You’re already forgiven”
“Thank you. That means a lot to me”
“What you said last night….was it true?”
He stared at me. His eyes were stormy and scary. I shuddered.
“Yes.”

With that he left. I downed the tea I had ordered and left. This was soo not over.

MusicLoveLife BRONZE, Nanuet, New York

I was hoping it would do that! Thank You!

on Sep. 6 2011 at 11:32 am
SilverLuna SILVER, _________, Washington

"Come fairies take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.".... W.B. Yeats.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

I'm waiting for the conclusion to this, because it sucked me in(: Good job!

MusicLoveLife BRONZE, Nanuet, New York

Thank You!!

Fallyn BRONZE said...
Fallyn BRONZE, Rohnert Park, California
Wow, this is nicely written! Great job!