Waiting for the Notes

“Rose,” Someone grabs my shoulder as I half walk half jog to my car. It’s Ian. He jerks his head over toward his grey Sudan, expecting me to sneak into his front seat. I normally would, even though Sarah is standing just yards away, her sleek blonde ponytail swinging as she laughs at one of her friend’s jokes. You would think he would want to be more discreet with his girlfriend so close by.

“Not today Ian,” I say, turning back to my car.

“But Rose,” he repeats urgently, this time at a harsh whisper, his eyes darting back from me to the door of his Sudan.

I ignore him and get in my car and drive off. Today is Tuesday, and Tuesdays are mine. I drive down Lincoln Avenue and speed up as I turn onto Shamrock Blvd. It is 3:30, and I need to be back by 3:37. It always starts at 3:37 exactly. Not a second before or after.
When I pull into my driveway, I scramble to dig my house key out of the bottom of my backpack. Once I find it, I open my door, toss my bag to the side and run up the stairs to my room. It is almost is almost time.
I struggle to open the window adjacent to my bed; for some reason it always gets stuck. Once I manage to push the window all the way up, I lie back on my bed and wait. 3 seconds, 2 seconds, 1 second. 3:37, that’s when I hear it.
I almost feel the music as it floats through my window. The soft melody of a saxophone; the deep jazzy tune sinking into my being. I imagine tendrils of music notes streaming through my open window, winding around and holding me in a soft embrace. I let out a nice long breath, the tension leaving my body.
The sound is coming from the house kitty corner to mine, from the room on the top floor. The sound, the beautiful soothing sound, is coming from Johnny Sandon. The boy who looks down on me. The boy who once slipped me a note in math class that simply read “You are better than this.” The boy that destroyed me with his words. But, this sound, at 3:37, is my only constant, and he has the power to take it away.

matseyb03This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Hahah of coursee! Andd I'll take a look sooon. !

Wow ; so few words but such strong meanings. With so few words and such vague terms the reader gets to fill in the blanks and I love it. I wish it was longer. But still ; it's perfect the way it is!

delz4 replied...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 12:29 am :
wow, thank you so much!  that was exactly what I was going for.  You should check out some of my other stuff.