Excerpt

I'm about to give up. Talk about mission: impossible. This is getting me nowhere. All I have gained is bruised and battered hands, a body dripping profusely with sweat, and a new void filled with irritation and anger.
I am searching for something. What this something is, I am not sure. But I can feel that it is important. Extremely important.
Perhaps all this searching will come up with nothing. I myself can understand how exceedingly difficult it would be to bury something of significance in a busy neighborhood park such as this. So many people passing through. Kids exploring and searching for treasure. This could easily be a hopeless case.
But, suppose he did leave me something here? What if this treasure, however tiny, helped my to survive? Maybe he has left me another letter somewhere, buried in the soil beneath my feet. Maybe it's something of his. Maybe he has left me another gift. A last gift from him. A final goodbye. This would be worth more than any amount of treasure. I can only imagine the feeling of holding a piece of him in my arms one more time. Something he touched. Something he had intended for me.
Maybe if I could find this, I could finally let go.
So, with this last thought very prominent in my mind, I keep digging.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 4:13 am
A bit strange, but I absolutely love the word choice. :)

paige14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I enjoyed this! It left me a little confused, and wanting more. I was left wanting an explanation. Who is this person? What might have been left? What was the first letter? Who is this "him" she talks about? It doesn't quite seem to stand alone, there has to be more story here, and I'd like to hear it

CarrieAnn13 said...
This is another beautiful, emotional piece!  It's mysterious and makes the reader want to know more. :)  Excellent work!