Speechless | Teen Ink

Speechless

August 15, 2011
By SaritaFajita BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
SaritaFajita BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
- In your anger do not sin.
Psalm 4:4

- "Love the life you live, live the life you love." -bob marley.


“Hey, how’s it going?” I shake my head. “Yo, what up!” Ugh, even lamer! I think to myself. Come on Rose, you can think of something cool to say. I’m at Cool Beanz Coffee House, waiting in line to order my drink.

The line is way too long and I’m impatiently tapping my foot. I was looking around the room, busying myself by counting the number of tiles on the floor. All of a sudden the door swung open and a rowdy group of boys about my age nosily hurried in, eager to get away from the chilly snow falling outside.

I rolled my eyes as most of the other customers stopped and stared at the group. I recognized most of them from my school. They’re so immature. I thought as I watched them make their way to where I’m standing; the end of the line.

I was about to greet them when I noticed Chase Sterling laughing with Jake Rivera, another one of the boys from my school. I stopped and immediately turned around. I’ve known Chase since…well since forever, but I’ve hardly even said more than a sentence to him. The funny thing is, I’ve liked him for the longest time.

So here I am, standing in line, waiting to order my coffee, and right behind me is the guy I’ve liked since grade school. Come to think of it, I guess it hasn’t been that long ago…I mean, I’m only in 8th grade. It’s just been a couple years… Man, I wish my best friend, Charlotte were here. My mom dropped me off here a few minutes ago because she had to go to a meeting across the street.

I have to talk to Chase…and I’m trying to think of something cool to say, but I don’t know… “Rosalie??” Uh oh...I heard my name. Slowly, I turn around and wave shyly. “I thought it was you!” So it was Jake who had noticed me. I give a weak smile. “What, not gonna say hi?” He asks.

“Hi.” I mutter under my breath, not daring to look at Chase. ‘Hi?!’ Are you kidding me? What is wrong with you Rose, say something else!! Chase probably thinks I’m a loser now… The boys all snicker. “What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?” Harvey Larch asks. I shake my head and start to turn back around.

“Hey, come on guys. Knock it off, I got the drinks covered. You go ahead and sit down.” A smooth, calm voice says. I’d know that voice anywhere. It was Chase! And he was sticking up for me! OMG OMG OMG!! Best moment of my life ever!

The boys all laugh. “Sticking up for the lady huh? Oooooh! Looks like somebody’s in looove.” Harvey cackles. My heart sinks just then. “Very funny, but you know, the gentleman that I am.” Chase gives a crooked smile which makes my heart melt.

“Whatevs bro.” Harvey grins, and punches Chase playfully in the arm before he, and the rest of his friends walk off. After they do, I’m left standing alone with Chase in this still, very long line. Awkward…


“Rosalie right?”He asks. I nod. Even though I’ve known him since 1st grade, he still doesn’t even know my name! “Yeah, but everyone calls me Rose.” Chase nods. “I’m Chase.” I know. “Good to know.” I answer politely. Inside, I’m silently screaming.


“Aren’t you in my math class?” I nod my head again. Actually, we both have math, reading, US history, science and Spanish together. I don’t mention that though. “Yeah…isn’t Mr. Richmond the wackiest? I mean, his glasses are always so low on his nose!” Chase laughs. “Right? I swear I’m gonna fall asleep every time he talks! His voice is like blah blah blahhhhh.”


After a few minutes of talking about Mr. Richmond, we talk about other things and soon we’re laughing like old buddies. I can’t believe I’m talking to Chase. And I don’t feel weird or anything! We’re almost at the cashier (I guess the staff is really slow today) and Chase stops and stares at me.

“What?” I ask uneasily. “You know, you seem different than I expected.” I frown. “Well, I mean, good…different.” “Thanks…?” I say as we reach the front of the line and order our drinks.

Our order arrives, and I sip my hot chocolate carefully as I take my wallet out to pay. Just as I’m billing a five dollar bill out, Chase places his hand on the hand holding the money and I look up, startled. “I got it.” He says. I smile, and blush, as he smiles back, leaving me speechless.


The author's comments:
Just a simple little piece I decided to write real quick :)