A Letter to my Sister's Future Boyfriend

Greetings!

For dating my dear little sister, you must be either a very special man or a complete creep who wants to take advantage of her. If you are her first boyfriend, then I suspect it is the latter. All you have to do to disprove my theory is visit our family! If my sister has conned you into deciding to meet us, then you are either very brave or very stupid. Again, I suspect it is the latter.

Anyway, I guess you should know what to expect.

As soon as your vehicle pulls into our driveway, you will be watched. If you are even mildly aware of your surroundings, you will see three short, dark-skinned men in military gear. These are three of the seasonal Filipino workers we employ on our apiary. One of them will be armed with a pellet gun and another will be armed with my dad’s bear hunting rifle. The last one doesn’t need a gun; he’s a bull wrestler. While these three men are dangerous, they aren’t the ones you need to worry about.

At our front door you will be greeted by dad and his double-barrel shotgun. One barrel is filled with rock salt and bacon rind while the other has an actual shell. This is a warning as to what will happen if you break her heart. Still, dad is not the one you should be the most afraid of.

No, the person you should fear most is my mother. She has the aura of a military general and the ruthless streak of a Mafia boss. It is a rare young man that is not intimidated by her. Personally, I don’t think you are one of these rare men.

But if you love my little sister despite her psychotic family, you do indeed deserve her love. If you stick around long enough to marry her, then maybe I can accept you as my brother-in-law. Maybe.

sadhya said...
May 24, 2013 at 4:08 am
a different one indeed nice!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
May 30, 2013 at 1:29 am
Thank you! :)

ItsMyLifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love this story sooooooo much! I don't have a little sister, but I have a friend that's younger than me. If she ever told me she had I boyfriend, I'd definately do the same thing! Keep up the awesome romantically humourous work!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
I'm glad you liked it!  Thanks so much for commenting! :)

hannaj15 said...
May 9, 2013 at 9:36 am
I really like this letter. It is well written and simple. It is truthful. My only criticism is that this is not fiction. Since it  is for your sister's future boyfriend, he is real. Even if he doesn't read it, it is still true. Despite this, I love it!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Hanna, it's fiction because it won't happen.  It's complete hyperbole.  Anyway, thank you for taking the time to comment.

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
sounds sooooo much like something i would do for my baby sis..and the family sounds pretty familiar too

CarrieAnn13 replied...
May 9, 2013 at 1:26 am
Thanks!  And although I may not be the motherly type, no one had better mess with my little sister.

yourlove-mywings said...
this was a great story!!! i loved it!! I would totally write something similar to my sisters boyfriend!! ooh... young 8th graders... watch out!!! lol!! i loved it!!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
May 9, 2013 at 1:26 am
Thanks!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

Miniterror said...
Dang! That's a crazy family. I enjoyed it.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you! :)

Ghalo1337This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I can imagine this with my own sister, I love your stories keep on writing

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks!  But I'm done writing on Teen Ink for the foreseeable future.

LiveLaughLoveWriter said...
May 17, 2012 at 8:09 am

This was amazing! It was soo funny:)

keep on writing:)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Boota replied...
i love this it vaguely reminds me of my family.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 16, 2012 at 3:51 am
That's good!  I was trying to make the letter somewhat relatable.

Taconut7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Haha! That was hilarious!!!!!! Great job at making my day!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.