James | Teen Ink

James

June 11, 2011
By Anonymous

I want to go out with him again. He was so charming and sweet. Down to earth and funny. His voice was deep and caring. His name is James. He gave me the sweetest compliments. It was only our first date, and yet I know he will be good to me. But when he finds out, what will he think? That’s what I’m afraid of. He will judge me like everyone else. Nobody else wants to get close to me because it’s too much of a hassle. This is what I’ve lived with my whole live. Judgment and rejection.

This is what I think about as I lay in bed. It’s 7:30 am. I don’t usually sleep in late like most seventeen-year-old girls. I have more important things to worry about then getting my beauty sleep. I get out of bed and make my way to the shower. I don’t bother turning on the light. I shower in the dark and get dressed. My mom picked out my outfit, she likes to do stuff like that for me. Mom is already at work, she works early in the morning till late at night. That’s what happens when your father abandons you. He finds out you aren’t normal and takes off, never to be seen again. I don’t miss him.

I decide I want to go out with James again. I call him and he answers. I ask him if he wants to go to dinner and he says yes. I’m not one of those girls who waits for the guy to make the first move. Life is too short to wait around.

It’s time for the date. James picks me up and we go to my favorite restaurant. They have amazing burgers. James and I have a wonderful time. The restaurant smells like French fries. He cracks jokes and I laugh uncontrollably, he says I have a cute laugh. The date goes really well, he pays the check and takes me home.

We sit on my front porch for what seems like hours, staring at the stars and talking. I know it’s only the second date, but something about him seems right. I decide I’m going to tell him. I get really nervous. If he’s like everyone else, he’ll bolt as soon as I tell him, he’ll want nothing to do with me. But what is life without taking chances? Nothing. We both stop talking for a minute and just look up at the sky. He smells good, probably his cologne. I turn to him and tell him that there’s something he should know. Here it goes. I’m about to tell him, to lay everything on the line. I close my eyes. “I’m blind.”



He leans in and kisses me.