If Only | Teen Ink

If Only

June 8, 2011
By cinema BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania
cinema BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Bradley loved like the old films; in his mind a kiss solved everything. Not always was this true, but to him the kiss meant “You know I love you even through all of this”; whatever the problem was at the moment. He tried to always be there, even if work complicated things between the two. He cooked beautiful breakfasts and planned unforgettable trips, being a complete romancer while still being a perfect man.

Today was special; today there would be no problems or fights (although rare anyway). Bradley had bought flowers, however they weren’t too much of a token as neither of them cared for the plant, but it was still a part of the picturesque idea that this was right. The flowers sat in a vase in the corner on a tall, thin table. Next to the vase stood a photo from the trip last summer; they had gone to Europe and had hitchhiked the whole way, it was such a dangerous adventure. Bradley smiled, today signified four years together.

He looked through the compiled wardrobe to find his outfit, something that he found fitting. He eventually settled on an attractive vested suit that accentuated his body (which was one of a good physique). A thought struck him as to what they would do with the check at dinner. Would he pay? It was his idea, and his surprise. He figured so and put the necessary amount of cash in his wallet.

Yesterday he had talked with the usual Nathan and Cassie, who were both very dear to him. However after Nathan left Bradley moved in closer to Cassie, his body leaning just under her face.

“What should we do tomorrow?” he asked, smiling up into her deep, pastel cyan eyes; similar to his own.

“I don’t know, ‘just dinner’ feels lame.” she wanted this to be the most romantic night in the history of it all and both were having trouble thinking.

“I suppose we could…just go with it?” he looked to her for approval.

Cassie thought for a moment. “It’s not often that nights go unplanned. But I feel that’s where it gets romantic, because then everything is in the heat of any of the moments spent.”

“Nathan’s going to be so curious.” Bradley covered his mouth and let out a muffled, playful laugh.

“It’s just between us for now.” Cassie winked and got up to give him a hug goodbye. They smiled and decided the possible ideas mentioned would be the plan, or un-plan. The night came and went and in the morning Bradley woke to make final preparations for the evening to come.

There was a dinner that came and passed (with Bradley paying), and the two eventually ended up walking through the park. They held hands and simply enjoyed the moment as it were. It wasn’t the most spontaneous thing ever (like the Europe trip), but the night wasn’t nearly over. Bradley gave a recognizable sigh. It was a sigh both would give when realizing a certain little problem. They tried to shrug it off, that it was fine. But Bradley knew it was there, it always would be. It was just a little disheartening when remembering how pretty special a day it would be…if only he could marry him. When a marriage could actually mean something, it would be great if everyone was as supportive as his sister Cassie.


The author's comments:
When the divorce rate is so high, it's interesting that the people who would actually treat the ceremony with respect can't participate. It breaks my heart that people like Nathan and Bradley, who love each other unconditionally, can't be seen in society as husbands, and vice versa. So when people who can get married don't treat it as a privilege denied to many, it angers me. The fact it's 2011 and we're still at this state of mind is unbelievable to me. One day gay rights will not be gay rights, but human rights. And I hope that day comes soon.