Dreamy Eyes | Teen Ink

Dreamy Eyes

I’ve noticed him looking at me across the room all year. Not in a stalker way, or in a scary way, but just glancing at me and quickly looking away whenever I noticed. I wasn’t sure what he was thinking as he gazed at me across the room, but I started looking at him to see if he was looking at me. He usually was. I always looked away immediately. One day I decided to not turn away, but to keep looking at him until HE looked away. Finally I looked up. There on his face were the most gorgeous, dreamy brown eyes that I had every seen. Our gazes were locked for about five seconds, then the teacher called on me. I scarcely knew how I answered the question. How on Earth was I supposed to focus when the most beautiful dark eyes ever to be seen were right across the room? I was in a daze all afternoon. On the bus I basically ignored all of my friends, because I had thought of something that stole my attention. Maybe he liked me! Maybe, I liked him too.
~~~
I will forever worship hazel eyes. That’s the color of her eyes. I remember years ago thinking she was kind of pretty, but when I came in on the first day and saw her again, she was gorgeous. I couldn’t help it; I stared. Finally one day she looked up, saw me, and smiled. I was awestruck by beautiful, dreamy, hazel eyes. I eventually was struck speechless when I was just standing by her! Over the next few months I tried not to look at her. I was afraid she would think I was weird. We almost never spoke to each other, and every time we did, I ended up saying something stupid and walking away as fast as I could to save myself the embarrassment. I could talk easily to every other girl in our school, except the one I wanted to talk to the most. Prom was coming up. I wanted to ask her, but was too shy. One day we were sitting each other before lunch because the seat next to me was the only open one. I asked her about my Algebra homework and pretended that I was stuck, so I could talk to her. I attempted to be funny, and to my surprise, she laughed. She didn’t seem annoyed at all. She seemed happy, like she enjoyed being around me. I had known for a long time that I liked her hazel eyes. Now, I loved her personality even more. Maybe, just maybe, she felt the same way?
~~~
He is amazing. That’s all I can think of. We talked a lot before lunch. He kept asking for my help on his homework and just being fun and nice. But the thing I loved most about it was that when he talked to me he looked into my eyes the whole time. Not like other people who don’t make eye contact when they talk to you. No, he let me look into his eyes without looking away. I had always thought they were darker. They were light brown. Like milk chocolate. If it was possible, I loved them even more up close.
~~~
She sat by be again after lunch too. She had absolutely no idea how happy it made me. We talked even more than before. I got annoyed and kind of jealous when other guys kept asking for her help too. We all knew it was an easy assignment that everybody understood perfectly well. I was being selfish. I wanted her all to my self. I got angry when she laughed and smiled at them. I loved when she did it to me though. How could you not love the bright expression it gave her hazel eyes? But I knew better than those other guys that her eyes were just a beautiful sneak peek to her amazing personality.
~~~
We sat together again. His friends kept interrupting us to ask me for help on our assignment. He was actually kind of rude; he kept interrupting when I was helping his friend! I didn’t understand. Usually he was nice and friendly to everyone. I finally turned around after he had interrupted for the twelfth time and shot him a death glare. He was silent. When his friend (finally) left, I talked like nothing had happened. He seemed a little less talkative at first, but when the smile finally returned to his eyes, I wouldn’t have traded it for the world.
~~~
Two weeks before prom. I decided to ask her. I went up to her and said, “Hey.” She looked up, smiled, and said, “Hi!” I stuttered, “Umm… I have to ask you something…” She waited a moment, grinned, and said, “Yes?” Her smiled was all the encouragement I needed. I took a deep breath and said super fast, “I really, really like you. You’re beautiful, funny, and perfect in every way. Will you be my girlfriend?” I hadn’t intended to open my heart up to her, only to ask her to prom casually. She looked astonished, turned beet red, smiled shyly, and stole the tiny corner of my heart that wasn’t already devoted to her when…
~~~
I took a deep breath, and felt all the happiness in the world as I said yes.

The End

on Jun. 10 2011 at 5:03 pm
..RJ.. PLATINUM, Phelan, California

"Your temper is the only thing you cannot misplace by losing it" -- anger management(movie)

That was one of the few stories with the pov going back and forth that i could understand. Great job :)  Thank you for the wonderful story, I hope you keep writing lovely peices like this :)

keep writing said...
on Jun. 9 2011 at 9:17 pm
Love the back-and-forth between point of view. Clever! And the focus on eyes really helped connect everything. Well written!

Aunt Gardner said...
on Jun. 9 2011 at 8:21 pm
Anonymous perfectly captures the rollercoaster emotions between two teens at the beginning of a potential new romance - the joy of a meaningful glance and the pain of an angry glare.  The happy ending is very rewarding, dreamy.