The Story of Blue | Teen Ink

The Story of Blue

By Eruza BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
Eruza BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

We stood there, Blue and I, in disbelief near the body lying on the floor, lifeless. My friend and I, wide-eyed, stared at the culprit. She stood there crying as blood mixed with her tears, dripping slowly from her face.

Why did this happen?, I asked myself in my head. I tried to think back to when this huge mess began.

It was my first day of high school and I was so excited. I didn’t know very many people there, so I was expecting to make many new friends. It took me a little while to find my classrooms because the school was so big. At one point I got lost in the drama building, and that is when I met him.

He was exiting a room in the hallway where I was. His hair was dark brown and looked like a porcupine. He stood one foot taller than me and looked down at me with his bright green eyes. He was smiling.

“Lost?” he asked me in a kind tone.

“Yeah,” I replied, “I’m looking for the psychology class.”

“What a coincidence, I’m on my way over there. You can follow me if you like,” he said as he headed out the building.

“Thanks! My name is David,” I said as I followed him.

“You can call me Blue,” he replied as he led me through the main building to the classroom. After a few days, Blue and I grew to be friends. I also noticed this unbelievably beautiful girl named Susan. She had light blue eyes and shining brown hair. She was about the same height as me and sat two seats forward and one seat to the left of me. She was smart, too. She could answer almost anything, except why she won’t talk to me.

Psychology was a very interesting class. Our teacher would lecture us about the aspects of mental diseases and disabilities in such a comedic way that I nearly died laughing a few times.

At lunch during the second week, I told Blue about Susan. He suggested that I go up and talk to her. And so I did. It was my second worst mistake. Not only was I rejected, but I was threatened to stay away from her by her current boyfriend. I told Blue the bad news and he seemed a bit shocked. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know she had a boyfriend,” he said sympathetically. I asked him if there was someone special he was after. He paused then said faintly, “She’d never go out with me.”

The bell rang for the next period and we never spoke about it again. The semester went on as usual, and nothing exciting happened. However, for some reason unknown to me, Susan’s boyfriend was arrested near the end of the semester. I was so happy. Maybe now I can ask Susan out, and she won’t say no. It didn’t work. She wouldn’t even pay attention to anyone, except Blue. For the next few weeks, all she did was stare at Blue in class. I told Blue, who apparently hadn’t noticed, and all he said was, “She’s probably just thankful.”

Thankful?, I thought to myself, but I didn’t ask. Little did I know about what Blue was doing after school. I soon found out. A girl came up to me one day and asked me if I was Blue’s friend. I nodded and she handed me a note. “Could you please give this to him?” she asked. I agreed and during lunch I noticed Blue wasn’t there. I thought for a moment and took the opportunity to see what the note said. It was a love letter!

Blue will be so happy, I thought. And so I went to look for him. I checked by the auditorium, then the main building. He was no where in sight. Then when I was passing the gym I saw them. Blue and Susan were behind the gym having lunch. I went to go greet them when Blue leaned over and kissed Susan. I was shocked. I left immediately and the next day I made my worst mistake. I went up to the girl and handed her back her note and said, “Sorry, but I couldn’t find him. If you want, I could give you his address and you can give it to him yourself.”

She agreed only if I would come with her. And so we went to Blue’s house after school. I rang the door bell and his mother let us in. She said he was up in his room with a guest. I smiled a bit. It was perfect timing. We went up to his room and I knocked on the door. He opened it, expecting his mom, and jumped a bit when he saw me instead.

“Umm…what are you doing here?” he asked, shocked.

“I brought someone who wants to see you,” I answered.

“This really isn’t a good time,” he replied. His mother came up during our talk and noticed me standing outside his room.

“Drew, let them in already,” she said. I laughed a little and he let us in. There we saw Susan, as I had guessed.

“Please make it quick, we’re studying for the final in class tomorrow,” he said.

“This friend of mine has something she wants to tell you, ‘Drew’,” I said, a bit mockingly.

The girl explained why she was there and how she had had a crush on Blue since last year. Suddenly Susan got up in the middle of what the girl was saying and slapped her across the face.

“How dare you!” Susan yelled.

The girl was shocked and muttered, “What did I do?”

“You’re trying to steal my boyfriend aren’t you?” she continued to yell. I glared a bit at Blue and he looked at me with a startled expression. He knew there was no way he could stop what was happening. I smiled a bit, but my smile immediately turned to a feeling of horror. For at that moment Susan punched the girl in the face so hard, her nose broke. She was bleeding now. That is when the girl lost it. She violently shoved Susan down. Her head hit a nearby desk on the way down, hard. Susan was out cold.

So there we were, Blue and I in shock, Susan unconscious, and this girl bleeding all over the floor. Blue’s mom came in and was shocked, just as the rest of us. She drove us all to the hospital, where we spent the night.

It has been two years since that day, I’m a senior now. The three of us never spoke to each other after that. Now that I am older I look back on that event. Back then, I thought Blue had wronged me, having asked out the girl I told him I liked, but now, as I have matured, I realize I was being selfish. I learned that Blue had liked her far longer than I had, but had given up his attempts to try to help me. He was a good friend, and I let him down. I only wish I had seen that when I was younger. If I ever see him again, I will tell him I am sorry.

This story is a fictional representation of my personality. Both Blue and David correspond to aspects of who I am and what I value. At times I find myself patient and self-sacrificing like Blue, and at other times I find myself impatient and rash like David. The silent conflict between them is what makes me. I used the element of misleading the reader in this literary piece because it is one of my favorite thing to draw suspense and draw the reader into my story. This story actually has a sequel that goes into much farther depth on the background of the characters, as well as a follow-up of what happens to our wonderful main character.