Something About You | Teen Ink

Something About You

By Dreamingblu93 BRONZE, Hodgenville, Kentucky
Dreamingblu93 BRONZE, Hodgenville, Kentucky

A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment. - Jane Austen

Many times, I wondered if what was actually happening was true, or, really, if it was just some really bad dream that I would wake up from soon.
I sipped the last remnants of my coffee, feeling the cold liquid slip down my throat, and looked out the window from the booth I was seated at.
It was pouring rain outside, and, just like every other day here in Dublin, people rushed by, clutching their jackets to themselves or putting up their umbrellas. Some came in pairs, others came in singles. Either way, it was a lonely setting, just residing here in a dimly lit coffee shop.
I then wondered what he was doing right now. If he was checking his e-mail, expecting some kind of explanation from me to be in his inbox, or, maybe if he was just watching television while finishing up a paper for one of his classes at Yale.
I sat down my empty cup on the table and ran the tips of my fingers over the wide rim.
I remembered the e-mail my mother had sent me a few days ago. I'm worried about you, it had said. When are you going to be coming home.
I haven't responded to it yet. Thing is, I really couldn't. I had no idea what to say, because, honestly, I didn't know how long I was going to be here.
No one knew that I just needed a break from my life, to just get away.
I had sent my letter to Georgetown, politely inclining the fact that I would not be attending the first semester.
I never got a response back.
I pulled my cell from my pocket and checked the time. Five-thirty.
I sighed and put the device back into my purse.
Leaning back into the smooth black leather of the seat, I ran a hand over my arm, completely lost in my own little world. For a moment, I was back in Ohio, feeling the beauty of just being in a small town.
That was when I heard the clearing of a throat and I looked up. Before me stood a guy with short, stuck up, boy band-ish hair and eyes the color of the latte I had just consumed.
"Um, can I help you?" I asked.
"Actually, I was just wondering if you would like a refill."
That was when I noticed that he was wearing the same uniform the girl at the register was: A pleated white shirt and black dress pants. I looked down at my cup and then handed it to him. "Sure."
"Be back in a sec."
When he returned, he came back, not only with my refill, but also with a soda bread farl.
He placed the cup and saucer in front of me and started to walk away before I stopped him. "Excuse me, but I didn't ask for this..."
"I just thought you could use a little something. You looked like you were starving."
Truth be told, I was. But, having a guy tell you that..."But, wait, do I have to pay for this?"
"Nah. It'll be our little secret." He then winked at me and went over to another costumer.
I tore off a piece of the bread and placed it in my mouth. I smiled a little to myself. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad anymore. Maybe, now, things were actually turning around for the better.
The guy looked up and smiled at me.
I did the same.
Yeah. Things were definitely turning around.