Regret | Teen Ink

Regret

The cold air pierced my skin as I could see him walking towards me. I knew that hesitant look in his face; the look that he gave when he wasn’t happy. My heart was anxious to know what was happening, as the good times that we had, raced in my mind. I could see his breath easily against the pitch, black night. We neared each other and I noticed the bags under his tired eyes. He hadn’t been sleeping. I knew I should have bit my fierce tongue from hurting him so badly. Why is it that even though I know I should stop, I just can’t? I am so tired of regrets in my life. It seems that everything I do lately slowly leads to one.
We finally met and he looked at me with those big brown eyes. The ones I fell in love with. The ones that had my own eyes glued on. He started to talk, but I didn’t want to listen. I wanted to take back the time to where everything was right again. He wiped the snowflakes off of his face as I did with my tears.

His slow and tender voice spoke to me and said ,” You knew this was going to happen, why did you let it get this far?”

My throat tightened as I barely blurted out the words ,” I tried to stop, but you know how hard it is for me. I can’t help myself”

“Well that is something about you that I can’t deal with anymore. I am done with the lies and excuses that you have used to cover up every thing.”

I understood exactly what he was saying. I looked at him, and remembered the memories we had with each other. I thought about the time are car broke down suddenly in the pouring rain. We had to find our way through the muddy puddles, to the nearest gas station. Those were the days that I longed for the most. The ones were we didn’t care what others may have thought about us. We were so deep in love, that the world didn’t even make us have the slightest worries.

I flashed back into reality and saw him standing there awkwardly. Awkwardly looking at me. I could tell that he remembered what we did, and somewhat wished also what I did. I didn’t want these carefree days to end like this. I want a closure that doesn’t leave me still wondering. Wondering if we could’ve worked things out if we put aside our pride and just spoke. Tried to work the problems that are splitting us apart.

But he looked at me once more and grimly said “goodbye”

I watched him walk away from me. And just like that, it was over. All the fun times were gone, and I didn’t have a chance to explain myself.

on May. 18 2011 at 11:50 am
caraline redberg, Paso Robles, California
Hey guys! If you like the story please comment and vote!:D