A Surprise At Valentine's Day | Teen Ink

A Surprise At Valentine's Day

May 2, 2011
By cguilbe BRONZE, Broad Brook, Connecticut
cguilbe BRONZE, Broad Brook, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Brian was a thirty-four year old, geek squad employee, at Best Buy in Massachusetts. He searched for love in all the wrong places. Every one of his relationships ended in tearful break-ups. He began to question his fate in love and feared to be alone. His pursuit for happiness led him towards a dating website where he met Sandra, a twenty-eight year old, divorcee, who worked for a law firm in New York City. She was also unlucky in love and went through heart breaking relationships. He was fascinated with how much they both had in common. This instant connection then turned into a year long, distant relationship.

Brian was longing to see Sandra. He proposed to meet in New York City, on Valentines Day. On this day they were going to exchange gifts and have a nice relaxing dinner. However, Brian was nervous that he would not be able to find a present on time. He drove to eight different grocery stores in search for the perfect rose and the sweetest chocolates.

The anticipated day had arrived and Brian was getting ready. He wore a white button down, short sleeve shirt, with khaki black pants. He snapped on red suspenders to match the red bow tie, placed ever so neatly on his neck. He brushed his hair back and used gel to hold its place. He sprayed, black covering hair product to his bald spot and sprinkled some cologne in his neck.

Brian drove three hours from Massachusetts to New York City. When he arrived, he used his GPS to find the exact location of an Italian restaurant/bar, located a few blocks away from Sandra’s house. Brian had arrived an hour prior to the engagement. He tried to walk towards the front desk without tripping over Valentine streamers and balloons. The hostess revealed an empty table with a beautiful view of the empire state building.

As Brian waited for Sandra’s arrival, he placed his gifts on top of the table, and checked his watch for the time. Two hours had passed and there was no sign of her. He checked his phone, but the screen was clear. He looked around at all the happy, looking couples that were celebrating the holiday. He felt stood up and disappointed that his chance at love had got away.

Brian was about to leave when one of the waitresses told him that there was someone asking for him. He told the waitress to send her to the table. He sat down on the table and took a deep breath to relax his nerves. Brian overheard footsteps and then glanced at the figure in front of him.

“Hello, my name is Sandra and you must be Brian, it is so nice to finally meet you.”

“You… are… Sandra?” Brian said confused. His eyes were wide open as he observed her. She was dressed in a short, see through, white, shirt, that had two holes in the midsection. Blue, ripped jeans, with black writing on the bottom, that covered half of her black heels. She wore a long, blonde wig, and her face was covered with a lot of makeup to hide her facial hair.

“Sandra is my call girl name. My real name is Alexis. I wanted to tell you in person. I may not look like the girl in the photo that I sent you, but nowadays people have to be careful of who they are talking to in the internet.

Brian then realized that the person who he believed to be in love with, was not who he thought it was. He was in love with a man.

The author's comments:
I wrote this story to make people laugh and have a good time reading it. I hope you all enjoy.