He Heard me | Teen Ink

He Heard me

April 1, 2011
By Ryssa BRONZE, Kennebunk, Maine
Ryssa BRONZE, Kennebunk, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't think or judge, just listen. - Sarah Dessen, Just Listen


I fell to my knees beside James and threaded our fingers together. He had to be okay, he had to be okay. "James?" I whispered.

"Samantha? I thought I told you let me die?" He looked up at me, pain in his beautiful blue eyes. I moved his other hand away from his stomach and almost had a panic attack right there. Blood was seeping from a gaping hole there, taking my James with it.

"I love you James, I can't let you die." Paramedics came up behind us then and loaded James onto a stretcher.

James looked me straight in the eyes. "You should have let me die Samantha. Now you're in danger too." His eyes closed and he went limp. One of the paramedics checked his pulse and nodded at the others. He must have a heart beat. They let me ride with him in the ambulance surprisingly. I held his freezing, limp hand the whole time.

After a few hours in the waiting room I was allowed to see James in his room. He was awake, but in some pain. I curled up next to him on the bed and felt his arm wrap around me. "I love you Samantha, but I didn't want you hurt, that's why I told you to let me die."

"What happened James? Why did someone attack you?" I whispered.

James leaned his forehead against mine and mumbled, "Because I know something I shouldn't." He leaned down to kiss me, but I turned away. "What's wrong?"

"You're still fragile James. I don't want to give you a heart attack," I half-giggled.

He chuckled weakly. "Oh, you think if we kiss, you'll give me a heart attack?" I nodded and held the hand that rested on my stomach.

"Let's wait until your out of the hospital."

A few days later, he was out of the hospital. He had stitches, but was going to be fine. The cops were watching his house and following him around to make sure no one tried to attack him again. James came over to my house the day after he got out and we laid on my bed together.

"I'm glad you're okay," I smiled and ran my fingers through his dark brown hair.

He sighed softly and pressed his face into my neck. "I'm just glad that I'm with you and that you're okay." I rested my head on his shoulder and looked down at our intertwined legs. This was perfect, just like I had wanted it to be since homecoming.

"Kiss me," I said so softly I thought he couldn't hear me. James lifted his head and brought my lips to his. I guess he did hear me after all.


The author's comments:
This is an idea I had, I would like to know if you would want me to continue with it.