Just like old times | Teen Ink

Just like old times

April 18, 2011
By JaydaWest BRONZE, Ocho Rios, Other
JaydaWest BRONZE, Ocho Rios, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Tears are words the heart can't express"


Jayda sat cross-legged on the grass, gazing intently at the shimmering surface of the water. She smiled at the water, seeing her reflection. Her kinky brown-hair rested just below her shoulders, her hazel eyes sparkled in the mid-afternoon sun. With her fingertips she traced the outline of her eyebrows.

"You really are pretty" A voice came from behind her. She turned slightly to see standing there her best friend Alex. He was a good 6 feet tall, with a smooth brown complexion and wavy black hair, all the girls at school liked him, but she, she never liked him that way. They had been friends from preschool, but lately, they'd been drawing apart.

"Thanks" She chimed, and patted the empty space beside her. Soon, he was seated beside her, silently gazing at the water too.

Just below the surface, a fish swam lazily. She smiled a bit seeing it, so free and careless.

"You know, I wish I was like that" She said softly, he glanced over at her, catching her eyes in his viridian gaze.

"Yeah, why?" He asked, he was staring back at the water, waiting for her reply.

"Well, because they're so free, and so graceful, I wish I was like that" She responded, she was fiddling with the edges of her sundress now, the orange dress blended perfectly with her black leggings and orange slippers.

"Well, I don't know about the free part, but you are graceful" He said, looking at her again, his face looked completely honest, but somewhere under there she thought he was joking.

"You're joking right?" She said, the corners of his mouth curled into a happy smile.

"No, I'm not. All the boys at school say the same thing, you should ask" He whispered.

"Really?" She asked quizzically, it was still hard to believe. He moved over to her, his eyes bubbling with happiness. She smiled, so did he.

"Yeah, you're really beautiful Jayda, don't forget that" He said leaning over and kissing her on forehead. She flushed a bit, which was unbelievable to her, because she told herself she didn't like him. She could see he was blushing slightly too.

"Thanks Alex" She said a tad nervously.

"Aww, Jayda, you're blushing" Alex teased, standing up and offering her a hand.

"Shut up Alex" Jayda defended, and she got up without his help. She playfully punched him on the shoulder. He laughed.

"Last one to the Smoothie Shop is dickless pantywaist" Alex shouted, taking off along the path towards the town. Jayda started running too smiling.

'Just like old times' She thought to herself as she ran.


The author's comments:
Believe it or not, this only took me 10 minutes to write. I usually take hours to get these ideas, but today something magical happened.