The Summer Sun | Teen Ink

The Summer Sun

By Cody_Colon BRONZE, Ayer, Massachusetts
Cody_Colon BRONZE, Ayer, Massachusetts

The sizzling hot sun shone down upon us. The feelings shared throughout the day, made me feel invincible. Nothing could hurt me as long as I held her close to my body. The warmth was unbearable, as sweat trickled down my cheek. She leaned in close to my ear and whispered the three most powerful, chilling words to me. She said, “I love you.” I hesitated a moment. Dumbfounded. I struggled to grasp the words that could best fit my feelings. She stares into my eyes, listening intently to words she hopes to hear. I stutter a bit and my heart races. What do I do? What do I say? What does she want to hear? Her eyes stare into mine, making me sweat like a thousand red hot suns. I reminisce of everything we have shared. The first date, the first kiss, the first time I met her parents. Nothing, not one of these things, compare to this. But why now? Why am I sweating? Why does my heart race? Why are my lips so dry that I cannot say the words I long to tell her? I quickly jump back into reality. She questions why I cannot speak. I finally get up the courage. I speak low. She doesn’t hear. I say it louder. “I love you too.” Her lips quiver and shine in the beautiful July sun. The words we both ached to hear. This love, a feeling I never understood until that moment. She leans in close, her soft lips come toward mine. My heart stops beating as her lips touch mine. This lasts for what seems like an eternity. I pull away looking for the right combination of words expressing how I feel. How could I tell this, in my eyes, perfect girl that I can’t possibly live without her? Nothing quite comes to mind, except one thing. The three most powerful shilling words escape my lips. “I love you.”